Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl Bella was put on Di-Trim today liquid. But she is horrible at taking meds. she won't take it from a syringe and won't eat it in applesauce. She is just picky and weird about foods. Idk how to get her to take it for the next 2 weeks. Tonight I wiped some on a yogurt treat and gave it to her and i hope she got the meds from it but it's not ideal. I know I can't freeze a treat for her cuz she won't like to hold it. She's picky about clean hands. But if I baked homemade treats I could put the med inside it and I know she would eat it. Can I bake this antibiotic and still have it work? It's not a refrigerated med.

·
Registered
953 Posts
You don't want any antibiotic to be heated, or even in an overly hot environment. I would try other things to mix a little with it. things I've used-baby formula-baby foods (fruit ones and chicken are faves here)-not super healthy, but hard to resist a little pudding.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I agree, heat often denatures the antibiotics. I would try a range of sweet and savoury things, I've even had look soaking things into a bit of cake and topping with butter. Most of mine prefer savoury though, I particularly like a trout mousse dog food I can get hold of, its a real treat for them.

If this doesn't work then roll her into a towel and hook the syringe behind her teeth and squirt it in her mouth, do a max of about 0.1 or 0.2 at a time or it will squirt out. Its not nice but its a fair back up method.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the problem I'm having is that she likes the things I mix it with. But she just doesn't really have interest in people food such as yogurt. She only eats a tiny bit and runs away. But if I put it on her yogurt treat she will eat it but the medicine doesn't soak in so she only gets a little of it off before the rest gets wiped on the floor lol. Cake is a good idea of something they can eat that will soak it up cuz I know bread will choke them. She would probably eat cake. Otherwise i thought of baking the treats with a little pocket inside so i can squirt the medicine in the pocket and try that. Or maybe I will have to resort to holding her down. Idk what it is with her. All my others love syringe feeding and want more when it's done lol. she doesn't want anything to do with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts