Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya I'm thinking about getting more rats, and I'm considering a hairless rat cause I think they are cute and I never had a hairless rat before, so just wondering can they be in the same cage with other furry rats? Or will the furry rats treat them differently for whatever reason or will they get scratched too much? I know hairless rats can get more skin problems so I just want to make sure the furry rats dont make it harder for the hairless rat.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have seen people house hairless and furry rats together no problem. Depending on the personalities of the rats, I don't think the hairless one would be treated any differently. It's possible that the hairless rat will be scratched, but that would probably just be due to their lack of fur, not fighting. You really won't know how the rats will act until they meet each other. Also be aware that hairless rats have shorter lifespans than furry rats, so having more than one furry rat is a good idea.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen people house hairless and furry rats together no problem. Depending on the personalities of the rats, I don't think the hairless one would be treated any differently. It's possible that the hairless rat will be scratched, but that would probably just be due to their lack of fur, not fighting. You really won't know how the rats will act until they meet each other. Also be aware that hairless rats have shorter lifespans than furry rats, so having more than one furry rat is a good idea.

ah thanks! good to know, I wonder why hairless rat have shorter life spans? Do they get sick easier? if they do it would kinda suck for them to get sick and pass it onto my furry rats cause I wanted to get 3 furry rats and 1 hairless or 2 hairless and 2 furry not sure yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not exactly sure why they have shorter lifespans, but I do know that it's harder to keep hairless rats healthy than it is to keep furry rats healthy. Hairless rats need to be bathed every couple weeks and also need a little bit more fat in their diets. There are other things that could affect their lifespan as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts