Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rat Food...

I was wondering if I would be able to feed "Grreat Choice Nutri-Cube Fortified Mice & Rat food" to my rat that I'm getting.

Main Ingredients:
Ground Corn, Ground Wheat, Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Corn Gluten Meal, Fish Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Flaxseed Meal, soybean oil, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Ground Limestone, Algae Meal

Protein: (not less than) 18%
Fat: (not less than) 5%
Fiber: 8%

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would recommend getting food that was made specifically for rats such as Oxbow (most common and popular food) as they are more attuned to a rats health instead of covering a broad range of animals! Dried corn isn't very good for rats, I wouldn't say that the diet is good for ratties at all. They can survive on it but it can cause an abundance of other issues unfortunately.
Not sure if this was just a type error but if you are adopting rats soon please adopt a pair instead of a single rat! Rats will get very depressed without a friend of their own species and this can be detrimental to their health. No matter how much time you spend with a single rat they will still be lonely without another rattie to keep them company at night! Having a friend can also increase their confidence and sociability, just an overall necessity :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I would definetly not feed this to my rats. It has corn as the first ingredient which has no dietary value and it is just a filler. Basically the food has bad ingredients and probably isnt very high quality. A food i would recommend is oxbow regal rat food. They also have one that is for younger rats as well. Also like RatEmporiumToronto said if you are only getting one rat please consider getting two. Rats are really social and they can become depressed when they are alone.

·
Registered
227 Posts
RatEmporium is correct, get 2 rats,,I stress get 2...when you can not be with them, they have each other. Oxbow is what I feed my 3 boys,,my vet recommended it,,,give them treats, little bits of fruit, veggies,,,,,if you get males,,,no oranges...best of luck,,,enjoy

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, it has alfalfa in it and rat's can not digest that, I suggest Oxbow Regal Rat Adult Food for your rats, even if they aren't adults yet. If they aren't adults, then still feed Oxbow but make sure you give them protein supplements. I feed my young rats (They are 5 weeks old) Oxbow Regal Rat Adult Food and then a few times a week I'll give them chicken or scrambled eggs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you ;)

Btw I made a typo when I said I would be getting a rat instead of a pair. I haven't gotten rats yet but I will try to get a pair when I do decide to buy them.

Also regarding the food I will probably buy Oxbow regal rat food because my mom bought the rat food (the one that I was describing) and I wanted to know if I could use it but I'll just probably return it :D

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
When I first got rats my mom did that too!;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts