Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girls' teeth are getting pretty long and they aren't chewing the wood chews I put in. Can I file their teeth with a nail file or something?

·
Registered
190 Posts
That would be terribly cruel. Maybe try putting a scent they like on the wood, like a small amount of peanut butter, baby food, etc. My girls like it when I hang wooden blocks or beads from the top of the cage, they chew them down and then chew them to bits

·
Registered
835 Posts
I don't think it'd be cruel. I mean when you take a rat to the vet to have it's teeth filed what do you think they do?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rats dont have nerves in their teeth like humans.

When rats chew on things like wood it doesnt wear down the teeth, although it may encourage them to grind their teeth.
Source:http://ratfanclub.org/teeth.html

If your rats teeth are getting too long it is a sign of significant illness, healthy rats grind down their teeth, I'd recommend you get your rat checked out by a vet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies. I did put peanut butter on their chews and noticed a lot more chewing. And this morning one of them were grinding. I'll have a look to check if their teeth are going down before a vet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts