Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so the first 6 months I've had my rats (I've had them for about a year) I played with them every single day. However, my mom wouldn't let me take them out on the carpet, so I had to use a baby pen or a pen made out of duct tape and a cardboard box. At first playing with them was fine, but at month 6, once they were much more comfortable, they began to rip the pens apart or climb over them, and playtime soon began to be miserable for us both. So as a result of that, I started making up any exscuse I could to NOT play with them. Not becuase I didn't want to, but becuase it usually ended up with them unhappy and me nearly in tears.

So now just recently, my mother finally agreed to let me just give them free reign of my room. But........ is it too late to be thier friend, or....... can I still bond with them?

Also, I have another unrelated question- the room I keep my rats in normally has the door closed. It's a big room, and it's not super stuffy or very hot or anything. Is it okay for the door to be closed?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would first try some immersion training (Look up threads by Rat Daddy) if your rats aren't friendly. If done properly this should yield some good results. Also, before you let them free range in your room, you're going to want to rat proof the room. Do you have open outlets they could stick their noses into? Do you have cords along the walls they can chew? Have you vacuumed recently? (You don't want a rat with a bunch of dust in their nose) Is there anything chewable? Are there open vents that rats could get their feet stuck in?

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's not too late at all! I have known some abused laboratory rats who were rescued and were able to bond and have loving relationships with their humans. Just be patient with them and gentle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just want to echo what others have said: it's never too late! Offer lots of treats and just go slow with them. Don't expect too much too soon. Some rats will take time to build up trust again and others will just jump right back in like no time has passed!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts