Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat is on doxycycline and enrofloxacin for a URI and UTI, but while her condition has greatly improved she doesn't seem to be drinking as much as normal. Is this maybe just becuase of the medicine? And how often should rats be drinking? Also, how high up should the nozzle be?

Another question as well- ever since Onyx got sick, her and my other rat Raven haven't been sleeping snuggled together, rather a couple inches apart........ is that normal?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright so I put some water in a little bathroom cup and Onyx drank happily from it, so she WILL drink, which is a relief. Why she isn't drinking from the water bottle, I don't know. I guess from now on I'm going to take her out and give her a drink of water ever half hour until she starts to drink on her own..... or is that a bad idea, will she learn to depend on me for water and never drink from the bottle? I also don't know if she's eating........ I shook the treat box and she got all exited and energetic and happily took and started eating a treat, but with much smaller bites than normally.

Also, her paws are covered in poryphin, which MIGHT be why she won't use the bottle- should I wash it off?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I use bowls and bottles in my rats cages. The bowls they use to clean their hands and face often. Sometimes they dunk food in them. The boys like to sit on the water bowls and soak their junk in there. :p They do need to be cleaned out often. I sometimes spritz them with vinegar after cleaning them and then fill them with water without rinsing the vinegar first to help keep bacteria from growing.

Mine would be very sad to not have their water bowls.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update again:
I saw Onyx drinking from her bottle for the first time today! I also pinched the skin between her shoulderblades and it snapped back quite quick. She's perking up too! I think that, becuase the medicine was in liquid form (oral), it was filling her up so she wasn't thirsty or hungry. She's also nibbled one some stuff.
Don't forget, we give her this stuff three times a day. That's a lot.

Adressing Mimsy:
I do have (I know this sounds silly) A large dog food bowl (sized probably for a German Shepard) that I fill up sometimes and they splash around in :3 I would love to have water bowls in there 24/7 but they're rough play rats my girls, they knock everything over, and we have carpet- if I was at school when they knocked it over it would soak into the carpet and ruin it- and my mom would kill me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts