Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Scampi + Goose
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was wandering around Martin's Cages website and stumbled upon a kitten cage/carrier. I immediately saw this as a beautiful opportunity for it to be used as a rat cage and thought I would share it with you guys. This particular model is called Model # C-470 The Kitty Penthouse, Full Top Floor w/ Slide-Out Pans. I entered the measurements into the rat cage calculator and it says that this cage has the capacity to house a whopping 15 rats! I tend to take everything the calculator says with a grain of salt because I really don't want to overcrowd a rat cage or fill it to the max. This is the link I used you may have to scroll down a bit until you see The Kitty Penthouse:
I was also wondering if any of you have used this cage for your rats. I ask this simply out of curiosity, but it would be fun to house my rats in such a spacious environment. Martin's Cages are one of the only good tabletop rat cages out there. Gimme a like if you house or have housed your rats in any Martin's Cages.

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
399 Posts
I have never seen this used before but it looks like a great cage!! I'm sure any rat would love it. :)

·
Registered
Willow, Comet, and Spark
245 Posts
Wow, that actually looks really good! I've never used it, let alone heard of it (LOL) but it looks great!

·
Registered
Scampi + Goose
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I thought so too. I forgot to actually state the measurements, here they are, 48" W x 18" D x 60" H. Very large! 5ft tall, around the size of a CN/FN I think.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm a fan of Martin's cages. I own a couple R-680's that I use as backup cages and I modeled my boys' (DIY) primary cage after the Martin's design. I've got lots of good things to say about Martin's rat cages.

The Kitty Penthouse is absolutely enormous! At 30 cubic feet, it's got nearly the same interior space as a triple Critter Nation! That said, Martin's puts a little disclaimer on this cage saying that it's not approved for pets other than cats.

I'm seeing some issues with using the Kitty Penthouse as a rat cage.

The wider bar spacing would be an issue for younger rats and even for smaller adult females. Rat cages made from galvanized steel should be coated to protect the metal from absorbing urine/odors. The C-470 appears to be available with a PVC coating but that type of coating is much easier to chew off than a powder coat. Martin's may be able to custom powder coat this cage, but at an added expense.

This cage has a wire grated floor with pull-out trays. Removing the wire grated floor would probably compromise the structural stability of the cage. Even if you could remove the wire grated floor, the 2.5" pans are a little shallow if you want to use a loose substrate. Martin's rat cages have 3" to 3.5" deep drop-in pans. These types of pans are more functional for rats.

I think one of the real advantages of Martin's rat cages is that they're light weight and easy to carry to the shower or outside on cleaning day. When you get any bigger than the Skyscraper (R-695), moving these cages around becomes just as difficult as trying to move a Critter Nation. It's my personal opinion that if you want a gigantic cage, portability isn't a priority and the features of the Critter Nation make it the better choice. A triple CN would probably be cheaper, too. If you absolutely prefer Martin's cages over any other options and you want the largest and most well-suited cage for rats, the RUUD would probably be a better choice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You could get an R-699 (RUUD cage) made for rats, with more levels and smaller bar spacing, for a bit more as Corbin stated. It has a 3" deep plastic pan as the base so no modification needed either.

Or, if you already own a Martin's, you could buy a second cage with the same dimensions and clip it to the top of your existing Martin's, to make a similar cage with little modification (cutting a hole in the wire top of the first cage and adding a ramp to make an access hole to the top cage).

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
if you already own a Martin's, you could buy a second cage with the same dimensions and clip it to the top of your existing Martin's
Martin's will actually make you an add-on unit if you want to make your cage bigger. I think they might even charge a little less than if you bought another full cage because they don't need to send you the pan. Because all of these cages are hand made, sometimes you can do a little customization!

·
Registered
Scampi + Goose
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a fan of Martin's cages. I own a couple R-680's that I use as backup cages and I modeled my boys' (DIY) primary cage after the Martin's design. I've got lots of good things to say about Martin's rat cages.

The Kitty Penthouse is absolutely enormous! At 30 cubic feet, it's got nearly the same interior space as a triple Critter Nation! That said, Martin's puts a little disclaimer on this cage saying that it's not approved for pets other than cats.

I'm seeing some issues with using the Kitty Penthouse as a rat cage.

The wider bar spacing would be an issue for younger rats and even for smaller adult females. Rat cages made from galvanized steel should be coated to protect the metal from absorbing urine/odors. The C-470 appears to be available with a PVC coating but that type of coating is much easier to chew off than a powder coat. Martin's may be able to custom powder coat this cage, but at an added expense.

This cage has a wire grated floor with pull-out trays. Removing the wire grated floor would probably compromise the structural stability of the cage. Even if you could remove the wire grated floor, the 2.5" pans are a little shallow if you want to use a loose substrate. Martin's rat cages have 3" to 3.5" deep drop-in pans. These types of pans are more functional for rats.

I think one of the real advantages of Martin's rat cages is that they're light weight and easy to carry to the shower or outside on cleaning day. When you get any bigger than the Skyscraper (R-695), moving these cages around becomes just as difficult as trying to move a Critter Nation. It's my personal opinion that if you want a gigantic cage, portability isn't a priority and the features of the Critter Nation make it the better choice. A triple CN would probably be cheaper, too. If you absolutely prefer Martin's cages over any other options and you want the largest and most well-suited cage for rats, the RUUD would probably be a better choice.
I like that you pointed this out. I agree with everything that you stated here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts