Rat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mom was peeling a cucumber and i gave a couple of chunks of the peel to my rats.. they both started chewing on the same piece :) Anyway, I assumed that it was ok for them to eat since its a vegetable..
Hamster Muroidea Muridae Rat Rodent
Hamster Gerbil Muridae Rat Muroidea

Piper is on the left and Lady is on the right :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
So my mom was peeling a cucumber and i gave a couple of chunks of the peel to my rats.. they both started chewing on the same piece :) Anyway, I assumed that it was ok for them to eat since its a vegetable..
View attachment 191386 View attachment 191394

They're fine to give! I'd cut off the skin though, or wash it really well before giving it due to pesticides and such. My ratties love cucumbers.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree. Cucumbers are one of their favorite foods, especially among veggies. No other veggie comes close, at least in case of my rats. And I do cut off the skin of the cucumber.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Cucumbers are one of the top foods that should be bought as organic since they tend to use a lot of pesticides otherwise (bell peppers, strawberries, and other berries are some of the worst to buy too if non-organic due to excessive pesticides and their thin skins). To be safe, I'd avoid giving them the skins entirely. But if it's organic and washed really well, it's probably fine. The actual meaty parts inside is totally fine, my rats like it too. :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Just to add that cucumber is a brilliant travel food for your rat as it's full of water. i use peices regularly in their carrier as an alternative to leant water bottles. It (and melon, apple, grapes and other water rich foods) are also always used in uk show tanks as a water source

·
Registered
169 Posts
Be careful not to give to much those as it can easily cause diareha, big this happens just give them a little while without any veggies, usually just until it clears up!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yes! Intro it slowly if you want to continue to feed them it. It can cause quite a messy cage, if you know what I mean :p

·
Registered
190 Posts
The skin of cucumbers, like apples, avocados, and lots of other fruits, is waxed with animal fats, among other nasty things, so I second peeling it. I tried zucchini with my rats but they didn't go for it, maybe they'll like cukes :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Erinsweeney you just reminded me about avocados. I discovered it a while ago that rats can and want to eat it. I was surprised and a bit weary since avocados can be somewhat sticky. So I chose the firmer ones, and rats simply devour them! Although I don't overdo it, avocados are fatty after all.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, we give my rats avocados! Since my rats are vegan (NOT by any conviction, just by happenstance) avocados and nuts are good because they won't be getting fat many other places, but if you feed your a standard diet yeah be careful!

·
Registered
26 Posts
View attachment 191386 View attachment 191394

My rats love cucumber alot.:)
It's healthy and tasty.
But excess of it can cause diarrhoea. So give them little bit. They will enjoy.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I give my rats peeled cucumber and they absolutely love it! They don't get it often though, since it's so watery it softens their poop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts