Rat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday morning when I woke up and went to check on the girls, Buffy was the only one awake and appeared to be having some respiratory distress. She has not been sick at all so this came out of the blue. She was breathing fast and squeaking with every breath. I immediately got her out and took her in the kitchen and got her a dark chocolate chip. She normally loves riding on my shoulder but was so agitated that I had to hold her. At first she wouldn't eat the chip so I broke it up in my hand and she licked it up. I then went ahead and gave her a dose of antibiotics that I had on hand from when my other two recently had a URI. I held her for a few minutes and her breathing went back to normal, no wheezing at all. Once she had calmed down and everything was back to normal, I put her back in her cage. I continued to monitor her all day and she was fine. I'm going to go ahead and do a full course of the antibiotics and call my vet today and tell her what happened.

Since I'm a first time rat owner, I'm just wondering, what was that? Did she have some sort of asthma attack or is it the start of a URI? Her breathing and lungs sounded perfectly clear the rest of the day and this morning.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.