Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marigold, Cranberry, Mango and Mint?

I was wondering because I'm thinking about buying a variety pack of Timothy Hay (when I need more hay for my girls and their nesting activities) and the variety pack contains separate small bags with dried carrot (I know rats can have carrots - my girls love them), dried cranberries, dried mango, dried marigold and mint.

Would any of the above (besides carrot) be okay for my ratties?

Also, can rats gt dust baths if needed (too much oil production and getting in their coats)?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't know about the marigold and mint, but my guys LOVE dried cranberries. xP

I believe that the D-limonene bonds to a protein in a male rat's kidney that causes it to build up and cause cancer... at least, that's what I remember from a biology class. xP D-limonene is also in black pepper, nutmeg, and the rind of oranges. The protein isn't found in female rats though (or mice of either gender), so your girls should be fine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Two things my girls go completely mental over is dried strawberries and dried banana chips. Man, you should see them with banana chips - one of those ends up in the cage and its fought over, stolen, hidden, found by another rat, fought over again... they've become the number one treat :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I don't know about the marigold and mint, but my guys LOVE dried cranberries. xP

I believe that the D-limonene bonds to a protein in a male rat's kidney that causes it to build up and cause cancer... at least, that's what I remember from a biology class. xP D-limonene is also in black pepper, nutmeg, and the rind of oranges. The protein isn't found in female rats though (or mice of either gender), so your girls should be fine.
Yep this is correct, its a really weird one, especially the fact the male mice (which are close from an evolutionary perspective) are unaffected. The compound in reasonable amounts actually has health benefits to does and other sepcies.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Also, can rats gt dust baths if needed (too much oil production and getting in their coats)?
Rats cannot get dust baths. Their respiratory systems are very fragile and a dust bath would almost certainly cause a flare up of some kind. My boy produces way too much oil and I use an unscented baby wipe everyday. She probably won't like it at first but give her some goodies while she sits still for you to do it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RattieFosters, Isamurat, and mis.kay: Thank you all for your answers! This hay variety pack will make a great Christmas present for my girls!

mis.kay: Thank you so much! I know rats have sensitive respiratory systems. My one is very sensitive to things (I have to use a certain bedding) and my other isn't as sensitive but she does get the occasional runny nose or crusty eye.

Clockwork Ghost: that is very interesting! I've never tried banana chips with my girls as they always threw the banana's out of their cage anytime I tried to give them some! Haha!

My next thing is I would like to try fresh papaya for my girls. They like the dried papaya bits. I also want to try some Wet Noses dog treats for them as well. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts