Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- The next installment of the 'Katie saga' that I seem to be having -

Recap for those who don't know; Katie is just over 2 years old, recently had surgery for 3 mammary tumours and a terrible respiritory problem approx. a week ago which put her in the vet hospital over night. She's now got some seromas, which seem to be reabsorbing (thank god)

Anyway, she seems to be acting VERY strange. She's stopped using her hands to eat, she'll eat her babyfood like a dog out of a food bowl. She's very wobbly on her legs - when she cleans she'll fall over. She's also started to walk off the edge of my bed (as though she never saw it coming) and into the wall of her cage.

I know her eyesight in one eye is going, but she will still climb the bars of her cage and on to the top of her cube hammock.

She's also drinking/peeing more than usual, although the vet said this could be due to the anti-inflammatory given post op (he said this LAST monday) she's still doing it.

It's an odd bunch of symptoms - I just feel like I need to pick your brains. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it old age, or perhaps some post op complication? I'm taking her to the vets tonight, so of course I'll mention it, just felt like I need a heads up

Thanks guys

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Sounds like PT (pituitary tumour). :(

Check out my Maya...watch how she eats her baby cereal.
http://ratguide.com/health/figures/pituitary_tumor_figure_1.php

The first noticeable symptom is loss of motor control and the ability to grasp with her front paws. There is confusion, the PT pushback, etc...check out both rat guide Figures (the other one is Ariel, Portia's sister) for a full list of symptoms.

This is Tikal performing what I call the PT pushback.

Steroids and abs are the only treatment, and if its PT it only makes them more comfortable and functional for awhile. Inner ear infection and stroke also have similar symptoms and the same treatment is needed, so its a scattergun treatment and then you figure out what you are really dealing with.

I am sorry. :(

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mr Hess the vet says it's not an inner ear infection. Which leaves the sucky options :(:(:(

I mentioned the PT and he says that it's probably that her tumours were malignant (hence new ones growing) and it could be a secondary tumour - aka PT

Fantastic =/

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
pituitary tumours can show up without the presence of other tumour (benign or malignant). Both those girls of mine on ratguide were 15 and 16 months old when they showed symptoms.

The good thing about PT is it is not a painful condition. Its usually much harder on the owners than the rat. Most of my PT rats have passed at home with me on the bed.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad to know that it's not painful, that's one comfort at least.

The more I read the figures on ratguide of your two, the more I can draw similarities between Katie and them. She's refusing to eat using her hands - she'll use her right hand on occasion but the left will not grip and she'll use it as a support (kind of useless)

She's getting confused a lot - I give her doxy through the cage and normally she'll run straight up to it, now I have to put it where she is and she has trouble finding the syringe and will keep moving her head until she tastes it, then she seems to be ok.

It's just such a bugger that after everything, this is how it's ending. Ugh!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm sorry about your poor rattie :(...My lil rattie Trey(rip) looked and acted the same way after she had eatin' poppy seeds....NEVER let ratties have these...because of the neurological damage it caused Trey lost function of her hands and had bad balance and would only eat baby food, licking it off the spoon, so i started to hand feed her veggies, because she wouldn't use her hands. Her eyes were shut almost all the time...and she also had a problem cleaning herself...just thought i'd share with you the things that i saw happen from neurological damage...just do what you can to make your rattie as happy as you can, that's really all you can do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts