Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My male rat suddenly got this strange lump overnight a couple of days ago. It seems to be getting bigger in size. I think it's an abscess but i'm not sure. The pictures start from the first day it showed up until last night. So about a week progression. Any insight you have is appreciated! Thanks!! Also there are like zero vets in my area that will see rats so I would have to make a bit of a trip to see one.
Rat Nose Muridae Snout Whiskers
Rat Whiskers Skin Chinchilla Rodent
Cat Nose Small to medium-sized cats Felidae Whiskers
Cat Nose Whiskers Felidae Small to medium-sized cats
Pink Cat Whiskers Fur Felidae

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Update on lump!

So I took my boy to the vet last week,I found a vet a couple of towns over that will see rats, turns out is was a tumor :(. He had the exam Tuesday and his surgery was on Thursday. I had the tumor sent to get tested so I can know what type and it is and if it's cancerous or not, i'm still waiting on the results. He's all well now, just resting up after surgery. He's eating and drinking normally so all is going good. I've been a little worried about putting him back with his cage mate so soon after the surgery because of the stitches but I make sure to give them some supervised play time so they don't get lonely because I only have two. I put them together yesterday and my other boy looked a little bit too interested in the stitches for my liking, so I'm keeping them separated for a little while longer. Other than that the only thing that seems to be a problem is him taking his medication. I finally got him to take it with the help of some applesauce, which he quickly got tired of and I had to get creative with some pudding today.

I'm just glad that he's okay now and that the tumor is removed!!
:):);D

Nose Eye Cat Snout Fur

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Poor furry.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
That's really interesting. It looks liek the skin was taken off and just the tumor was sticking out! Did the vet say anything about that or why it might have become exposed like that? I'm glad he seemed to do well with the surgery! Unless he had a large veign feeding the tumor, it's more than likely ok even if he rips it open and it's awful looking and gaping. As long as he's not bleeding, and he's not on litter that can get stuck in the wound (fleece it good for post-surgery just in case) just keep it cleaned out and let it heal on it's own (treat it like an abcess flushing). Rats heal very quickly so it will close up on it's own. He should be find to be back with his buddy if you don't need to worry too much about him opening it. I'm glad he's ok!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I asked the vet the same thing and he told me that there are all different types of tumors and that he has seen some that look like this one before. Sadly I got he results back from his tumor and it was cancerous, but the vet is pretty sure that it shouldn't come back because he completely removed the whole tumor. But he did tell me that of it was to come back it would most likely be in the same spot so I know to check him regularly now. He has his last doses of medication today and it looks like all the stitches have dissolved and his wound is healing up nicely, so all is going well :). I have some photos of him but he keeps moving so I can't get a super clear picture of the stitches lol
Rodent Fur Floor Flooring Whiskers
Rat Muridae Rodent Snout Fur
Mammal Vertebrate Chinchilla Rat Rodent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts