Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive looked in the high white information thread and some of the links aren't working for me and Google isn't giving me quite the answer im looking for.

Can someone please explain to me what exactly classifies a rat as a high white? ive only ever really had hairless rats, hooded, or PEWs but ive recently got three girls after my last rat from my previous mischief died a few weeks ago but two of them have some really random markings.

what exactly classifies a rat as a high white?

Rat Hamster Rodent Muridae Mouse Vertebrate Rat Mammal Muridae Rodent

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have been wondering this too, very helpful read, although the whole matter seems to be rather complicated, and not easy to tell at a glance.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Lol I've read that blog before and what it basically boils down to is "do you know the rat's lineage" which is really not all that helpful if you're buying a rat from a pet store. Honestly, my policy is to observe any rat that I consider to have risky markings until they're out of the woods. Like the blog says, you can have blazes and headspots with no incidence of of megacolon, but what it comes down to is whether or not there is a predisposition for the disease in the line. I've had capped/headspot/split capped litters that had no problem whatsoever and I've also have capped/blazed litters that I've lost 1/4 of due to megacolon. What you really need to know about it are the risk factors and the symptoms if you're not buying from a professional breeder.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not a bad read, thank you. im still finding it slightly confusing (am I over thinking it?)

my rats are pet store rats from a local pet store. but I do know signs and symptoms of megacolon. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to know about their line, though.

That blog stated rats with "a lot of white," so I mean, what about all white rats? PEWs?

·
Registered
195 Posts
What I took from that blog is that, unless you are very experienced at identifying markings, and/or have access to a pedigree, you won't necessarily be able to tell if your rattie is Risky White. I suppose another way would be to have a test done to check the loci, if that's possible?

If I'm not correct someone please clarify! Trying to understand this as best I can :)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
not a bad read, thank you. im still finding it slightly confusing (am I over thinking it?)

my rats are pet store rats from a local pet store. but I do know signs and symptoms of megacolon. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to know about their line, though.

That blog stated rats with "a lot of white," so I mean, what about all white rats? PEWs?
PEW, siamese and himalayan are controlled by different genes than the ones controlling spotting I believe. If you were to have a BEW (black eyed white), then there would be risk for megacolon since the black eyes indicate that there should be pigment but it's being covered by white. That's not to say that you can't have a pink/red eyed rat with risky white markings though.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
With my litter of 15 there were I believe 4 that didnt have what was considered "risky white" but here we are almost 7 weeks later and so far no signs of MC...but when their markings started showing I scoured the internet trying to figure it out and what I ended up figuring out is "sometimes some rats with alot of white or 'unusual' white markings have MC so if you have rats with white on them it can be an indication of MC...but also sometimes not"......so...short of knowing their pedigree you basically just have to keep an eye on them

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PEW, siamese and himalayan are controlled by different genes than the ones controlling spotting I believe. If you were to have a BEW (black eyed white), then there would be risk for megacolon since the black eyes indicate that there should be pigment but it's being covered by white.
very interesting.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
This is the nominate blazed high white...

Rat Vertebrate Mammal Muridae Rodent

Our Amelia was one of two high whites dumped into a feeder bin by a high white breeder. Notice how large the blaze is and how the white creeps up on her flanks... her brother was a lightning blaze high white. I'm assuming the rest of her litter didn't make it.

They were about 3 weeks old when I first saw them.

If you look close, you will notice it's not only her markings... Her fur was wirey and her eyes were that black ruby... her feet were huge and she was just slightly disproportionate...

I've seen the dalmatian and the really unusual zebra striped/marbled high white morphs too... Basically if you are experienced with rats, most high whites look like something else, except wrong. You look at them and they just look wrong. I'm not saying they look mutated... they actually look very attractive But if you see one in a group of a hundred other rats, the high white will stand out, that's about the best way to explain it.

And yes a litter of high whites will usually contain several obvious high whites which pretty much tells you what the less obvious ones are too. Actually the breeders that do high whites are mostly breeding for the more obvious traits so they make it even easier for you to tell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts