Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that neutered boys can live with unaltered girls, but what about the other way around? I know that she wont get pregnant, but will she get constantly harassed by the boys? Will there be aggression issues between the boys because of her? Not actually looking to get a girl, just curious if it's an option.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well it would be cheaper and easier to get the males neutered. (Easier procedure, faster recovery time, etc.) I know dogs don't go into heat once they've been spayed, so I'm just going to assume that female rats don't either (I've never owned females). And if the female rat didn't go into heat, than the males probably wouldn't be as interested. They might still scuffle a little, but if she isn't giving off a certain smell to show them that she's in heat, they will probably fine.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said I was more curious then anything. I see a lot of talk about putting neutered boys with girls, but never seen anyone mention the opposite.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
My spayed girl doesn't go into heat. It should be fine since girls tend to submit to boys naturally.

·
Registered
222 Posts
They do just fine. Spayed girls don't go into heat, and intact boys figure that out soon enough - they aren't "seen" the same way as intact girls. It doesn't matter which sex is altered for them to live together, as long as at least one is, of course. ;P

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I have spayed girls and intact males, and I do notice occasionally that the boys will try to hump the girls and sniff their privates. The girls aren't harassed or anything though, Naydeen actually likes to put the boys in their place and will be the one chasing and pinning them and stealing stuff from them

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I kept a spayed girl with a group of males, and it all went well.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yeah I have a spayed girl with two boys, they do really intensely sniff her inappropriately as if they're just kind of checking. But she gets them back by pinning them down after a bit of chase, I've not noticed any aggression between the boys because of her. There are more health benefits to spaying a female as well :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts