Rat Forum banner

Can they have corn?

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Spider 
#1 ·
I've read yes and no, or only cooked not the dry pieces are okay. I husked some corn for dinner and someone stopped by and we peeked in on the girls. As soon as Dandy came over she lunged at my finger, grabbed it in her mouth and would not let go. I did not wash my hands after husking the corn so I'm pretty sure all the sniffing, licking, and grabbing was because of this. So can they have corn?
Seems like a silly question but I want to be sure it will not upset their bellies!
thanks

#6 ·
Corn is a tricky topic, most feel it taboo and it has alot of neg. qualities.
America was built by corn eating people, until 1700s everyone ate corn, some of the healthiest animals were corn-fed.
But most of the Corn grown now is genetically modified and can be sprayed. If you ever find a worm in an ear of corn, thats the good one, the crop wasn't sprayed. Monsanto, AMD, etc.hold the patent on various GM corn types for future crops for Ethenol.
And the outer hull of the corn "grain" itself is highly indigestable, but a plus for a meateating culture that needs a communal enema.
Indians took the shell off the corn grain and made Masa, the main ingred. in tortillas, tamales etc.
So if you find some Organic grown Corn, fresh or in the freezer section, or a fresh tortilla, tamale, a little bit now and then wouldn't hurt.
Spider

#11 ·
ha, i'd just like to post in response to spider (and coming from an agriculture university, i get it pounded into me in nearly every animal science class) that genetically modified corn is in fact more nutritious than regular corn, and there's nothing wrong with it. the big fear from GMO crops is that they'll spread like weeds in the wild and take over "normal" plants, but in nature, plants compete all the time and take over other plant territories, so i guess that's a personal issue with you and the environment - it's not being destroyed by GMO crops, just evolved into something stronger, lol. also, even though crops can be sprayed, they are still rinsed before they are even close to the processes that take food to places where they can be purchased for consumption. in fact, many GMO crops are modified so that they are no longer appealing to bugs and so they don't even have to be sprayed in the first place. ask me about irradiated crops, go ahead. LOL. please don't hate me. XD

another ag-ramble, sorry. p.s., i love hippies, LOL (omg, please don't hate me, i'm so kidding), i live with bunches of them, i just think that buying organic yogurt for toddlers (brand: "yo-baby" LMAO) and "all-natural" beef for your dog, etc, is just paying too much for the same product. whatevah.

about corn and ratties, i've heard fresh stuff only.

#12 ·
OnlyOno said:
ha, i'd just like to post in response to spider (and coming from an agriculture university, i get it pounded into me in nearly every animal science class) that genetically modified corn is in fact more nutritious than regular corn, and there's nothing wrong with it. the big fear from GMO crops is that they'll spread like weeds in the wild and take over "normal" plants, but in nature, plants compete all the time and take over other plant territories, so i guess that's a personal issue with you and the environment - it's not being destroyed by GMO crops, just evolved into something stronger, lol. also, even though crops can be sprayed, they are still rinsed before they are even close to the processes that take food to places where they can be purchased for consumption. in fact, many GMO crops are modified so that they are no longer appealing to bugs and so they don't even have to be sprayed in the first place. ask me about irradiated crops, go ahead. LOL. please don't hate me. XD

another ag-ramble, sorry. p.s., i love hippies, LOL (omg, please don't hate me, i'm so kidding), i live with bunches of them, i just think that buying organic yogurt for toddlers (brand: "yo-baby" LMAO) and "all-natural" beef for your dog, etc, is just paying too much for the same product. whatevah.

about corn and ratties, i've heard fresh stuff only.
You crack me up! (in a good way, of course!) :lol:

#14 ·
I don't come from an agriculture school or have any academic knowledge whatsoever in regards to GMOs. But I'm old enough to believe in proceeding with caution with regards to actions that could possibly have irreversable results.
Oh yes the agriculture colleges, those same ones that are funded by Monsanto and others and who send representatives to lecture on how benign GMOs are and how the Soybean is going to save the world from starvation to say nothing of producing abundant oil for our vehicles.
As I write this reply Agents of Monsanto and others are in Africa, Mexico and other places Blackmailing farmers to buy their GMO seed.Mexican farmers have always produced healthycrops in abundance to feed the tortilla eating population, they would always put aside some of the best seed for the next crop. But now the only seed avilable is a GMO seed thats sterile, I'm no scientist but I do know this seed won't reproduce so after this crop the farmer has to BUY MORE seed and so on. They don't like this because the margin is slim enough to make ends meet. I have a friend who sells seed for one of the big companies and he said his boss told him that its the goal to spread the GMOs so they have to come to us, keep em on a hook.
Besides the fact that do we really know what the reprocussions are of mixing the DNA of a Corn Seed with that of a disease resistant silkworm? these effects should be studied over a long term before commiting them to our foodchain. Overwhelmingly the public has reservations inEurope against eating food thats GM produced, and they are prohibited. In our country sentiment is strong against them, and the Industries are trying hard to change that. But until we have studied them for at least a couple generations can we understand how they will effect human DNA.
I had a friend you remind me of. He worked for a company that supplied pesticides to Farmers in Arkansas. This was 40 years ago. Whenever somebody questioned whether they were dangerous he always joked about it like they person was dumb, or superstitous" do you think Scientists would let us sell this to put on our food if it was dangerous? Only a Hippy would think of some thing like that!
I remember going into the warehouse in FT. Smith and seeing barrels piled 50 ft. high and him saying" this is going to allow the farmer to triple what he can produce.
It turned out the barrels were full of DDT and dioxin? He died during his fifth surgery for skin cancer.
At the time they thought DDT was safe but it turned out otherwise. So excuse my skepticism of the "New Wonderseed" until we know all there is to about it, its always prudent to err on the side of caution when dealing with food consumption.
Spider

#15 ·
lol. isn't the aim of all companies to keep customers hooked?

if we send all of our corn to ethanol production for cheaper and less energy efficient fuel, where will all the corn used to grow our country's cattle go? cows *can* eat the by-products of ethanol production, but it is such concentrated stuff that it can only be fed in moderation before it is toxic to the animals. the goal of agriculture is to eat the end product (cows) that eat the stuff that we as humans cannot digest ourselves (grasses, etc). more fuel = less cows = less food. which is more important?

fort collins also has one of the nation's largest stockpiles of natural seeds from various grains that are kept just in case something happens to our supply of food (nation- or world-wide), whether GMO or not. most GMO crops are also not sterile - why would any farmer want to buy a seed that will not grow new plants next year? that's a waste of money and as farmers don't often make that much money anyway, that's kind of a ridiculous proposition.

i will not lie that mistakes have not been made, but mistakes are made in any industry along the way. extensive testing of certain GMO grains (wheat? i can't remember exactly) could not have foretold that less than 1% of the population would be severly allergic to this strain.

sorry spider! i didn't want my ramblings to sound like they were aimed directly at you (and i wasn't literally calling you a hippie, lol, i just have a couple hippie friends that say the same things), i just like to make the point of the other side so that people that don't know either side aren't unfairly swayed to think one thing or another. i suppose in the end, this isn't even the forum for a discussion like this, ha ha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.