Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten a cold that started off with horrible throat pain, and is now moving over to the normal nose distress, are you completely surefire that rats can't get this human cold? I cannot touch my guiena pigs nor my hamster because they can get my cold, but the rats? Gets kind of boring, both for me and the rats, not to play togheter and cuddle.

·
Registered
218 Posts
In my experience a common cold would sweep the rat room when I worked in a lab. But I have never looked up the science of it so maybe it was a coincidenc and they just got sick around the same times we did..

·
Registered
966 Posts
Everything I have read says they can not catch a cold from you but they can catch streptococcus pneumoniae from you.

·
Registered
874 Posts
QUOTED FROM ABOVE LINK: Secondary Infections
Mycoplasma makes rats more susceptible to secondary bacterial infections from a variety of bacteria. These infections are usually opportunistic, taking advantage of a break in the immune system, and are not usually contagious, but they can be deadly, and sometimes within just 12-24 hours! For this reason, I recommend that amoxicillin be the first antibiotic tried in most cases. If your rat appears at all sick or lethargic, I recommend starting him or her on amoxicillin ASAP! That is why I recommend all rat owners have amoxicillin on hand at all times.

If a rat appears quite ill, then it is a good idea to give both amoxicillin and enrofloxacin at the same time. Both are bacteriocidal and work well together. Amoxicillin can also be used in combination with doxycycline, because they work on different bacteria. Another good combination for severe symptoms is gentamicin and amoxicillin. Both of these combinations target secondary infections as well as mycoplasma. I recommend treating secondary infections for a minimum of 2-3 weeks or until symptoms have been gone at least a week.

There is controversy whether rats can get strep from a human with strep throat. The organisms are supposed to be different (Streptococcus pyogenes for strep throat, Streptococcus pneumoniae for rats) but there have been some suspicious cases. It is probably best for someone with strep throat to avoid rats.

Some books say that rats can get “colds,” but they mean respiratory infections. Rats cannot get the human cold or flu.

Thought I'd make it easier for you. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts