Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link

So I was looking at craigslist.com like I tend to do, and I came across this post.
I'm curious, can you be allergic to male rats? If not, why don't they just ask for females. I'm suspicious this this person wants to breed or something bad, seeing the pictures of the rats don't look all too good, seeing that the cost cage isn't good.
I just wish there was something I could do.

>__<"

·
Registered
527 Posts
yeah, i believe that you could only be allergic to males because of their buck grease.
i really hope that person isn't planning anything fishy, but who knows with craigslist? :/

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i'm allergic to males and not females. the smell of the buck grease makes me physically ill. in small amounts it gives me headaches. i didn't look at the link, but for the record you can be allergic to male rats and not females.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
too bad in all her 5 years of being a rat keeper & with her vast knowledge of how to properly care for rats... somehow she missed that part of how keeping rats on wire surfaces is actually bad for them

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i've heard that it's not technically bad for them. the theory that wire floors cause bumblefoot is untrue; dirty solid floors can cause bumblefoot just as easily. admittedly, it's harder to keep wire floors as clean, so for comfort and sake of ease, many people recommend solid floors. unless it's plain galvanized wire, which is bad in it's own right. just thought i'd throw that out there --> arguing for the sake i suppose. someone prove me wrong with facts and i'll shut up. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts