Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just left the vet's office feeling like she never met a rat in her life AND not feeling like I'm going to help my rat at all. Maybe you can tell me if vet's plan of action is normal...I have 3 brothers, 6 months old. A few weeks ago the meekest one was bloody. After series of separations we concluded both his brothers were beating him up because he was always bloody next morning no matter who we took out. He keeps looking worse and worse. So has been alone for 3 days now. Last night, looking at his raw skin and scabs I started to question if it was truly violence. Googled rat skin problems and thought it could be mites. Went to vet. She did look at a spot under microscope, said it wasn't alive. She said to treat him for mange even though she did not have a test for it, what?!!! She said she really couldn't tell if marks were from fights or something else, but too risky to wait and find out?! Also, even though this has been going on for weeks, she wants him separated for SIX weeks. He's already sad and lonely and it's been less than 72 hours alone. If it was something parasitic I would think his brothers have it too, so they can be together again. Short question version: would you treat your rat for mange with no test, especially if recommended by vet who thought that rats have lice more often than mites (and other foolish things, she never heard of rat blocks OR rats being sad alone)Thanks in advance. I don't know what to do

·
Registered
953 Posts
What did she give you as a treatment? If it's revolution it will work for mites as well and it's used safely by many rat parents.

To be honest, I'd treat all my rats with revolution if it were me and I would not separate. They would all be exposed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you suspect mites; sores on the skin, or tiny crawling things, then treat all rats for them. Wash down the cage well, and wash fleece etc at a high temperature. Mites don't bleed ohough, but may be getting scratched. Give all your rats a close check. I've had mites twice since I got my first rats, most showed some signs by the time I caught it. Check pics on google to compare. As you're treating all there's no need to separate for mites.If it's proper fighting would you not hear it or see him being picked in during the day?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great responses, thank you! Yes, we did get revolution and I do not see any crazy fights during the day. I think I will treat all and let brothers be together. Will they try to groom the revolution off each other? :(

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've used Beaphar Spot On (as that's what was available for me in the UK). It takes a while to "dry in" and yeah they tried to groom it off each other and themselves. Just try to make them behave themselves if they start it :) I've not used Revolution but I had no problems with Spot On (which might be the same ingredients I've not looked it up). Easy to use and effective.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Put 1-2 drops directly on their skin around their shoulder blade area where it's difficult to reach and lick. Parting the fur with a little water seems to help expose the skin. Make sure the medicine dries completely before putting them back in the cage. You can try dabbing the fur a little if the medicine soaked into the fur and is taking a while to dry. It might take a couple minutes for it to dry. Save leftover medicine by freezing it and reapply in about 2 weeks to be extra safe. And be sure to treat all the rats. do you have any other fuzzy animals living in your house? They should be treated too to be safe. When we had mites, ALL of our rats and 2 rabbits had to be treated which was a bit of a pain!

Yeah, I would be feeling really disappointed in that vet too.. seems sketchy.. Hopefully the little brother does just have mites and it isn't fights. Is there any way you could put their cage in your bedroom so you can hear if they're fighting for a couple nights? If you feel little scabs on him, it sounds like probably just mites, especially if it's around his shoulders and jaw/throat areas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts