Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you know how many and what countries pet rats are legal in?

and do you know what experience they have had by having the pet rats legal?

thanks.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Canada's Alberta providence is rat-free. Alaska (American State) bans all but PEWs.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Forensic said:
Canada's Alberta providence is rat-free. Alaska (American State) bans all but PEWs.
lived in alaska for four years and i did not know that... learn something new every day...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
crapola said:
Forensic said:
lived in alaska for four years and i did not know that... learn something new every day...
*shrugs* I read that somewhere... Hold on, let me see...

“We’ve had several incidents where it appears people have released pet rats,” said Meehan. “Pet rats are illegal, unless they are albino white rats. Some rats that have seen – in Anchorage, Kenai and near Wasilla – appear to be pets that were released or escaped.
If those get established, there’s a real wildlife concern. Plus these are near communities, and there’s whole other set of people-related concerns.”
From: http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlife_news.view_article&articles_id=145&issue_id=26 May 2005.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wow, a whole lot of logic flaws there, but hey who's to argue...lol. One thing that interests me is that they allow PEWs, but not others, what because there is a lot of snow people will be less likely to see PEWs that have escaped? huh? lol

Emy

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Perhaps they assume albinos would be less likely to establish as wild rats may be less likely to accept them? I don't know.

·
Registered
546 Posts
why on earth don't they just require spaying/neutering of pet rats? it would make it harder and more expensive to procure them, and i don't know how they'd monitor that, but you'd think that would be a decent compromise...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts