Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I finally make enough money that I can afford it I want to get my girls a multi level cage so all 4 of them can live together instead of the two smaller cages I have now. Any suggestions on the best place to get a nice big cage for a good price

·
Registered
55 Posts
In my opinion the best cage for ratties is the critter nation. I've seen them at pet valu, and I recently got one off kijiji. I saved almost 100 dollars off the price of a new one and after a good cleaning it looked pretty much like new. I've had several different cages and this one was definitely the best.

I'm not sure whereabouts you are but there's also chinchillas.ca which is based in Brampton Ontario. They carry many different makes of cages, plus accessories and all sorts of stuff (for all small animals, not just chinchillas). You can order online and contact them to arrange picking it up from their warehouse to save on shipping, but they don't have a physical store. Petsmart has a copycat critter nation with a lot of similarities. I don't know if the quality is the same, but it's a little cheaper.

You could always just go into the local pet valu/petsmart/other pet store and see what they have. You'll want something with approximately 1/2 inch bar spacing for females, and at least 2 cubic feet per rat. The easiest way to figure that out is looking up a rat cage calculator online.

I also suggest thinking outside the box if you're creative. My first rat cage was a large bird cage. I built ramps and shelves myself. It was a bit cheaper but the footprint of the cage wasn't very big, though it was quite tall. Just be careful about wire flooring/doors designed with bird safety in mind.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you use to clean kijiji purchased cages? I found one that may work very well for my girls but I always worry about used cages cause who really knows what illnesses the old rats may have had.. I live about 30 min from brampton so that may work I'll have to check the website there for sure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used regular dish soap to get rid of visible dirt, then a diluted bleach solution to kill anything that might be on it. Just make sure to rinse it really well to get rid of any bleach/soap residue.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know if the ferret critter nation is generally small enough bar spacing that rats can't escape? I found one for $125 but I don't want to get it and have my girls run out of it and meet up with mr kitty when I'm not home

·
Registered
870 Posts
Anyone know if the ferret critter nation is generally small enough bar spacing that rats can't escape? I found one for $125 but I don't want to get it and have my girls run out of it and meet up with mr kitty when I'm not home
Critter Nation has 1/2" bar spacing. Small enough for all but the tiniest babies. Ferret Nation has 1" spacing small enough for most adult rats, but a problem for young or small females. Ferret Nation can be covered with hardware cloth (preferably plastic covered) to make it safe for all rats. You need to know which cage it is. The price is good. Is it for a single or double?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a double. it's not an actual ferret nation though it's aknock off brand that's why it so much cheaper. it is on sale for 60% off too tho wire spacing says to be 7/8 inch

·
Registered
870 Posts
If you have young rats or small females, you might want to use hardware cloth to cover it. It's definitely a good price, though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all the online reviews seem to say that they had no problems housing female rats. It definitely wont work for baby rats but if/when i get new rats i should probably quarantine them anyway in a different cage. I think ill get it and see how it works out. I found out I have 30 days to do a return if necessary so ill put the girls in it when i am home to monitor any escape attempts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts