This is what I was going to suggest, although you can find organic natural candles with nothing to fragrance them at all, or else just essential oils.You can make your own candles that will be much safer. I still would burn them in a different room from the rats to be safe though. But if you buy some pure essential oils and plain beeswax or soy wax, those are the only 2 ingredients you need, so you know exactly what's going into it. It's kind of fun to make too!
While I can respect your desire for being impeccable with language, if synthetic chemicals cause physical harm, then by definition are they not toxic? Just because some organisms are more or less sensitive to the effects, does not mean these chemicals are benign.Okay so umm I'm totally not trying to be a jerk here but for the sake of clarity I wanted to point something out. I totally agree that the use of scents etc. are not good for your rats and will cause all sorts of respiratory problems. However, the use of "toxic" in this thread has me scratching my head. Just because someone gets a headache or it's disruptive to the ecology of an aquarium doesn't mean it's poisonous. If I were to put a baby carrot into a fishtank and leave it there it might be disruptive to the ecology of the tank and kill the fish and plants. Likewise if eating carrots gives you a headache or you are one of those unlucky people who are allergic to them it doesn't mean it's poisonous. It just means it bothers or isn't good for you. Poisonous usually means deadly to everything.
I'm a newbie for the most part so I just want to be clear for the asker of this question and for my own sake as well.
I don't know. I'm just saying that many people find Flax to be very useful to their daily lives and it's totally natural and whole and can be good for your rats right? I'm allergic to it and it can kill me with the tiniest of drops in my food. However I wouldn't call it toxic in a general sense.While I can respect your desire for being impeccable with language, if synthetic chemicals cause physical harm, then by definition are they not toxic? Just because some organisms are more or less sensitive to the effects, does not mean these chemicals are benign.
There's emerging science about a great many of the chemicals commonly found in household products, and the term 'toxic" is actually applicable.
As far as defining at what dose, at what statistically significant level, at what stage of decay (your carrot example) a substance is harmful to an individual or ecosystem, etc...well, that whole discussion is likely beyond the scope of this thread, no?
I'm going to guess you were using quite a few candles!Don't do it, I heard it's even worse when you use cheap candles. Me and my fiance got some candles for our room to warm it up naturally for the winter season and also reduce some stress. After having them on for hours, I started to get a massive headache. If these candles are toxic to us, they're definitely just as toxic to rats. I'm returning our candle set today, sad how companies will to whatever it takes to save some extra money, even if it means jeopardizing our health. And yes, I was using uncented candles.