Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Scentsy electric candle in my office that I sometimes use to help offset odors (my office is close to the dog runs and during mornings there can be a rather distinct smell until the cleaning is completed). I am sensitive to really strong perfume smells and use scents that are not too strong such as basil, lemon, coconut/lemon, etc. and generally limit them to 1-2 hours in the morning, but not every day. My office I small, but well ventilated and is set up for regular air exchanges (fresh air enters and the old air is expelled).

However, I avoid the use of any type of candles at home in the same room as my parrots because of their sensitivity to the oils in the candle wax. Does the same hold true for rats? The candle is across the room from their habitat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's best to keep the room that rats are living in as scent-free as possible, imo. It's not worth potentially bothering their lungs.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Treat your rats' respiratory system just like you would a bird. They are very sensitive.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I use peppermint essential oil. I sprinkle one shake of it directly from the bottle (about three drops) into the corner of the room opposite the cage. It perks the whole room right up, and ratties don't seem to react at all to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts