Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our boys cage has 1 inch bar spacing, so when it arrived, we covered it in wire mesh. I cut it as carefully as I could, but there are still quite a few sharp edges (not where the rats could get injured, but where our clothes snag). The boys love chewing through the zip ties holding the mesh on, I am forever replacing them. The boys are 11 weeks now; when would your boys have been big enough not to escape 1 inch bars? Sooza is the smallest of our two, when I tested about 2 weeks ago, he could get his head through the bars for a treat... His body didn't look like it would fit though - we have been guilty of using treats to help bonding, and the boys are a little chunky at the moment! If they really wanted to, they could have easily escaped by now, there are always flappy bits of mesh where they have chewed the ties off... Do I take the mesh off or not? The cage will be a lot easier to arrange and clean once it's off, and no more snagging clothes... Argh!

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,I noticed that the back of the cage had enough ties chewed off that escape would have been possible anyway, but there would have been a chance of getting snagged on the mesh, or possible squeezed between mesh and cage, but I didn't have enough ties left, so I took the mesh off the back of the cage. It's been about 5 days, and neither have made any efforts to escape that I can detect. So the back of the cage is regular bars, yet I still can't bring myself to take the mesh off the front and sides! Daft, eh?!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.