Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any tips on getting a rat out of a cage without the other escaping?

Basically, i have two 8 weeks old boys who now accept my hand in the cage, will take food from my palm (run, grab and take it away) but will not let me pick them up. i can stroke them, but anything more they dart away. I want to start Immersion training with them but down stairs is not rat proof...so i need to get them to the bathroom.
The MAJOR problem i have is, the door on the cage is so big, when im trying to pick up one rat, the other is trying to escape, which cannot happen, i would never see him again.
I cannot get the cage upstairs, its WAY to big. so need to get them into a carrier.

I have had the rats 3 days now and its hard to keep an eye on a rat trying to escape while trying to catch another, i need to get them both out ASAP....not only to train but also to do a full clean. I can only empty their toilet and top up food while they are inside. They are so eager to explore, i know they will love it when they come out.
So any ideas VERY much appericiated!!! I dont want to just grab at them incase it panics them, but is that what i should do?
Also ive heard of people grabing rats with a cloth? But this sounds a little cruel!
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Get a clear tub and in front of the rats add treats to the floor. Tip so it covers the door, open and coax them into the tub. Tip back up and cover with a lid or towel and you have a makeshift carrier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I did try something like this. But the door is so large, i dont have anything big enough to cover the entire space. Which is why i need to try and take them out and then place them in the carrier.
I think my cage was designed for degus, which is why it has a large door. I dont really want to change cages because it is very roomy for my boys....its just that door!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
We have five girls currently in a DCN, so the front is just two doors. Unless you've seen them try and jump out chances are they wont bolt. I have to bat away the others when i try to get one girl out but while they lean and stick their heads out trying to figure out the best way to go, up or down, but a poke on the nose and they move back for a moment. To get them in a carrier I'd have it on end beside cage, so the opening is directly up. Grab one, stick him in, grab the other and repeat. Works best if someone can help but thats how we got our girls around. It might seem mean but sometimes you just have to grab them. If you can scoop under them instead of lifting from above it will be less scary. They don't really like being picked up from above but if yours are still young doing it now and doing immersion you may be able to get them comfortable with it. Our older girls hate it but the two we got younger dont mind so much. It's not their favorite thing but they don't freak.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I cant imagine your doors are much bigger than a DFN with both of them open. When you see one try to escape scoop her up. If she darts wait till the other comes up to try to escape and scoop her up. There is just the old grab them from the top method but try to avoid that as it will scare them more.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've got 4 baby girls so you can imagine what a trick it is to try and clean their cage and feed them with all of them! I've just learned to relax about it. If they get out, they only ever go to the roof and walk around or most often, they're climbing on ME while I'm trying to straighten up the cage and clean litter boxes! LOL I just let them do it and pretend I'm their human jungle gym. I'll have 2 on my shoulder playing with my hair, 1 trying to go down my shirt and another trying to lick my eyelashes. It's a challenge to say the least. But I've gotten used to it. If I need to get them out of the cage for major cleaning, I've got a bonding bag that I made for them, which they love, and all I have to do is hold that up in front of the cage and they all pile in. Then I take them to their smaller cage and put them in there to play while I'm working on the big cage.

I think it's all a matter of what your rats get used to. They are very easily trained and they also pick up on your nervousness. So if you're being nervous about someone escaping, they'll feel that and act accordingly. Just try to relax a little and get a routine going and your rats will quickly follow suit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts