Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest girl, Astrid, is so stranger to URI's. She's had multiple over the course of a year. The first time, the vet gave me Biomox (amoxicillin) to give to her. She was on the medicine for 7 days, and an additional 7 days after that (to make sure it was all gone). The second time, the vet called in more Biomox and I gave it to Astrid for around the same amount of time (by then she knew that it was medicine and, therefore, did not like taking it, but I managed to get enough of it in her), and gave a little to her sister, Ramona (Ramona has never really had any URI problems, oddly enough). This worked...for a little while. Now my poor Astrid gets the red stuff around her nose and sometimes eyes, she sneezes, sometimes she has these fits that sound like asthma attacks, or she'll sneeze and wheeze. I'm really not sure what to do. She is getting older, I think she is already a year old now, but I don't want her to be sick and miserable! Her sisters don't have these problems after being around her (knock on wood). I would take her to the vet again, but I am a teenager that is entirely responsible for all of her animals, and I can't keep paying 60-something dollars for a vet visit + medicine...

ALL that to say...what should I do?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, it can't be the bedding that she is allergic to, because it is currently just towels. I replaced it months ago so that they'd have something to cuddle up under in the colder months.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Rats are prone to URIs they always happen, but most rats sneeze and have the red around their eyes anyways because they are so sensitive to smells and dust already.
Keep the room they are in clean of dust, make sure the air its circulated in the room, dn't use strong cleaning supplies, no air fresheners unless it is a defuser or a gel air fresheners, no nails polish, no candles. All those things can have an effect on your rats respiratory system either causing or aiding to the URIs.

On a side note I would use fleece instead of towels, rats can get their toes hooked in the little loops on the towels or their whole foot. Also I just want to say I'm not putting you down in anyway this is just stuff I have learned while owning rats, and recently have had a big problem with sick ratties because I slacked on this stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts