Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After losing the last of my girls last year, I held off on getting ratters for while. I tossed my old cage, as 4 rats over 3 years definitely did a number on it. I'm looking for a new cage, but I'm having so much trouble! I want a cage with a decent amount of vertical space for climbing, solid shelves, a deep base (so poop and litter don't end up everywhere...I swear my girls liked chucking poop out of the cage), and for it to be reasonably chew proof. Is this possible without spending $200+?

I'm in the US, and I prefer to buy online.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, so I found better pricing looking at 1800 pet meds for cages. :) I can get a single CN (or maybe even a double) for a VERY reasonable price. They also have scatter guards. It seems they aren't great, but it's better than nothing! I didn't want to use liners because my girls LOVED chewing fleece. I bought several yards of it and just made rough hammocks and such because I would have gone broke if I kept buying the store bought hammocks they destroyed...

Anyway, I digress. If I use a scatter guard plus a liner (to keep bedding in, not as actual bedding), do you think they will chew it? And do you think it will keep the litter in?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Go to Home Depot and by a large cement mixing tub for 13 dollars. Fits in snug and you would only need to use fleece on the top shelf.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm in canada and when I went to Home Depot I had to cut a pan that was the dimentions of the cage down to fit and my rats chewed through it. :( maybe they have a better one that I missed though

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I also use the Home Depot large cement mixing tub in the bottom of my DFN. I have the cage entirely open and that's the only spot I use aspen bedding (since my neutered boys actually prefer nesting in the aspen lol). It's so deep that it's pretty much impossible for them to throw things out.
image (12).jpg

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I highly recommend martins cages! They are absolutely perfect cages. I have no complaints.

http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/

They come in a variety of sizes. You want the 680 or larger. And you MUST get them powdercoated, which is an extra fee.

They are great for climbing and decorating, have a good base that is chew proof.

I seriously love my martins.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
martins are great but they hurt my eyes so thats why i went with a SCN.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Love your set up kk. My girls are terrible chewers of plastic however. :( It would work with my boys though who seem to only like to chew on wood or those cement type perches, like you have in your cage.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have 2 cages one is a Critter Nation and the other is a Living World cage , the Living World to me is much better , looks the same but the Living World is much studier plus I have metal scatter gaurds in both cages

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Love your set up kk. My girls are terrible chewers of plastic however. :( It would work with my boys though who seem to only like to chew on wood or those cement type perches, like you have in your cage.
I think that since the "end" of the plastic isn't exposed on the cement tub (in other words it has a rounded lip on it so there's not really any place the can fit their mouth on) it keeps mine from chewing. That's my girls' cage and I definitely have some plastic chewers in there; I've had the cement tub for about a year now and it hasn't been chewed...mostly because I don't think they can lol. The only thing I dislike about it is that it has curved sides so it seems like I'm losing a lot of floor space, but since my cage is entirely open I don't think it matters too much.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't have a Home Depot. Closest one is 6ish hours away. Would they be at any hardware store?

Also, it looks like the Martin's cages have wire shelves? I prefer solid, as it's easier to clean and safer for little ratty toes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have 2 cages one is a Critter Nation and the other is a Living World cage , the Living World to me is much better , looks the same but the Living World is much studier plus I have metal scatter gaurds in both cages
Which Living World cage do you have? There seem to be quite a few.

I'm concerned about having a plastic base that ratters can chew through. My girls never picked up that habit, but the ones I get might.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Don't have a Home Depot. Closest one is 6ish hours away. Would they be at any hardware store?

Also, it looks like the Martin's cages have wire shelves? I prefer solid, as it's easier to clean and safer for little ratty toes.
You could try a local hardware store or order online from home depot. I think their shipping is $5.99 regardless of size/weight, the tub itself is $13.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I bought the bass pans (the stainless steel) and I think they are worth it.... over 8 months of use and mine still look brand new and they are easy to clean. Flowertown chinchillas (in Canada) sells powder-coated pans for the CN/FN for a little cheaper, but you'd have to see how much the shipping charges are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts