Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it's a good idea to give rats cardboard to chew on. If not, why? Does it produce dust? I know it's probably not going to wear down teeth any but it might be a fun nesting material? Thanks for any advices ~Fruffles

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have given mine cardboard, and bits of paper. You want to make sure it is plain...like a toilet paper roll. None one with a label with ink on it. Also, not anything with glue.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Cardboard is safe. I give mine boxes to sleep in and they get chewed up. I'd be wary of it as nesting material as cardboard gets pretty yucky once peed on. So if you use it just check it often and remove it if it gets nasty.

Cardboard tubes like papertowel or TP are awesome too.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I do this all the time... old boxes, TP and PT rolls, etc. They especially love coke boxes.. I cut them in half and they make great hiding / sleeping spots. The boxes get nasty fairly quickly, so I just save them whenever I can and them rotate new ones to replace the old soiled ones.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I give mine paper towel rolls. Good for chewing and tunneling XD

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh wow, you guys reply fast! Thank you all for the advice :) I was thinking ink would be harmful so thanks for confirming! I will maybe try out some of these suggestions when and if I get another rat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts