Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got a 4week old girl, Pippa, she is so small still but she loves eating drinking and playing, I just want to know what the best way is to bond and care for her, I have never had a rat this small so I don't really know what to do

·
Registered
335 Posts
My four girls were all 4 weeks old when I got them. If you've had rats before, the bonding and trust building is the same no matter the age. I'm a first time rat owner, so I just did what came naturally to me. I followed their lead, meaning if they came to me and were ok with me picking them up and cuddling them, I did. If they needed a little extra time to get used to me and their new surroundings, I gave it to them, while continuing to sit at the cage, talk softly and reassuringly to them, and offering them treats. It took my girls about a week before they started settling in to their new home and relaxing a bit. That's when they really started exploring and the bonding with me really started. I didn't want to traumatize them by coming on too strong right away when they were dealing with so much emotionally. But I think that's the case with any new rat, not just babies. You've got to let them settle in some before you start forcing yourself on them too much. But then again, as I said before, follow their lead. If you have a rat that's particularly confident and outgoing, he/she may come right to you and may not need time to settle in.

I also wanted to ask...is there a reason you just got one rat? You know that they are very social creatures and really need to have other rats around to be happy and healthy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 11 month old female, and a 6 week old female as we'll I am waiting for the 6week and 4 week to grow to move in with Ella she is just to big I am worried she would accidentally hurt them

·
Registered
479 Posts
Do the 4 and 6 wk old live together? The only thing I'd say with a rat that young, aside from needing more young rat nutrition, is that she should not be alone. Thats not horribly young but it is still pretty young so her bring alone can be dangerous for her mental health. Otherwise watch your play areas to make sure she can't slip out, tiny babies are very slippery. And make sure she is getting extra nutrition like protien if your not feeding them young rat food. Waiting to introduce them is a good idea. It really depends on your female, some take to small you rats without issue, others you risk serious injury or worse. I have two whom i would never put with a small rat under 12 wks, they would likely attack. Then i have one who doesn't care about anyone else, one who is like a grandma, and one who has been pinned and beaten up by a tiny baby half her size. But if you have any doubt waiting is good so long as the youngest are together and your giving the oldest lots of love.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the two little ones are together, I didn't want her to be by herself, and I don't know she is kind of just ignoring them, time will tell how she feels about the other two haha

·
Registered
952 Posts
Like it was said before if you can get them on a young rat food like oxbow for young rats, or on an adult food with some extra protein it will help them be healthy. At this time I like to try out different foods for them. Lettuce, spinich, yogurt, nuts, berries, fruit, ect...to see what they like. Chizzler really enjoys cucumbers, spinich, and dried bananas but does not care for carrots too much. I let him be the first day except to give him food and water and a treat here and there. When we have play time he mostly sits on my shoulder, burrowed into my hair. I stroke him as we watch tv or play some diablo 3.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have an 11 month old female, and a 6 week old female as we'll I am waiting for the 6week and 4 week to grow to move in with Ella she is just to big I am worried she would accidentally hurt them
Oh good! I'm glad you didn't just get a lone little 4 week old! Your original post wasn't very clear.

As the others have said, the two little ones need to be on a young rat food like Oxbow Mouse & Young Rat which is higher in protein. Also what I said in my original post still applies as far as the bonding. I don't know how the little one is doing in her new environment but it's usually a big change for rats that young. They're no longer with their mom and siblings and it can be very scary. You'll have to be aware of that and give her extra reassurance and attention.

Is your 11 mth old currently alone? What kind of cage do you have?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They seem to be doing well, playing and sleeping, and coming out on the bed exploring I am trying to make them as comfortable as I can, I am feed them good food, haven't tried out veggies yet, my 11 month old Ella is on her own at the moment she is in a big three level cage, the other two are separate of course, but I am hoping once they get a bit bigger they will get along and move in there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts