Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, me again.

So, Katie. I've done tons and tons of research now and everything I can find points to Katie having a PT. She's getting gradully more wobbly, her left forepaw is almost useless, she won't lift it, but drags it to walk. Her left back leg is also starting to go, (although her right seems fine - she'll grip food with her right hand - I'm still hoping that she's had a stroke, but combined with all other symptoms eh). She's still eating, and I've asked a friend in the USA to kindly post me some Ensure for her, when the going starts getting rough.

To those with experience; what can I do to make her life easier? What are the reccommended treatment regimes? I'm going back to my vet on monday hopefully, so I will ask regarding medicines to give her.

She's currently still on her Baytril/Doxy mix, I've heard dex. is good for PTs, but is it available in oral form in the UK? Is there any alternatives, just to, you know...relieve the symptoms for her a little bit.

I've also pretty much switched her diet (unknowingly) to babyfood. Although there are still the nugget food in her cage, she's finding it easier to eat the baby food I put in her cage - her appetite is still really good (she ate the best part of half a jar of spaghetti during the night). It seems to be bulking her up a little bit too - she's put back on the weight she seems to have lost after her surgery.

Any help/advice would be great, thanks

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
You need oral prednisone (dex is a better steroid but comes in injectable form). Prednisone is more readily available. You need to continue the meds along with the steroid since steroids suppress the immune system and it prevents any new infections.

With inner ear infections, stroke and PT, steroids and abs are the recommended course of treatment, so you really cannot go wrong. With a stroke, some rats pass quickly and others will rally and slowly get better over a week or so. If you add Pred to the mix, it can be a lot faster. My Loki was almost normal after 24 hours from her dose.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Katie's been given injected dex and is to continue her doxy.

The vet's happy to give a weekly injection - but that doesn't seem enough. I asked about oral pred and he said dex and pred are the same thing (I didn't think so but ok - I think he was trying to vet talk me). Well, he won't give it to me.

He also gave her an antibiotic injection - marbosil (sp?)

It doesn't seem enough by a long shot - but I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens

1 - 3 of 3 Posts