Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! So I picked up a new little girl yesterday, Nymeria (Meeri for short). She's very small, and honestly the guy I got her from had no idea what he was doing. He said he only had a rat to feed his snake, which didn't eat it, and it got too big. So he decided to breed it for more feeders. Of course I didn't hear this story until I got to my friends house, the mutual location where we were meeting. He thought he had a litter of girls, turns out Nymeria was the only girl there. And to top it all off, the momma rat had died!

So here's my situation - I went ahead and took in this very skittish baby girl, who I was told is 4-5 weeks old but I don't think I believe him. She's so tiny...I'll post some pictures, if anyone can give me their best guess?

She's dehydrated, she eats solid food and goes to the bathroom fine without help, but she doesn't drink well. So I picked up some pedialyte and baby food today to mix up and see if I can get that into her, just to at least get her something to help. If anyone can tell me how old they think she is and what else I can do, I would be so grateful.

IMG_4321.jpg IMG_3439.jpg IMG_1559.jpg IMG_3413.jpg

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
She looks about 4 weeks. It's good that you're trying to get more fluids into her. Keep us posted on how she's doing!

·
Registered
835 Posts
She looks a bit smaller than Peter and Patches who are 5-6 weeks now so yeah i'd say 4 weeks looks about right too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on the little girl! Nymeria is doing very well. She's eating and drinking fine, she's no longer dehydrated, and she's so active! My only concern is that she's still extremely jumpy, but she does like to come out and explore. Loud noises or sudden movements still startle her and send her running for cover, though, and boy is she fast! But I expect that will get better with time?

I'm going to start introductions soon with the eight week old twin girls, Dorinda and Delilah, that I got shortly after picking up Nymeria. Hopefully that goes well so that they can all three go into the new critter nation that I ordered when it gets here :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts