Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Chase Connor and Gatsby have been in a carrier since 1pm today. It is now 10pm. The babies and Chase don't really interact much. But I did notice that chase get very very depressed and lethargic when in the carrier for more then 2 hours... I give him a 15-20 minute break but he just HATES being in there. I just wish he would interact more with the babies before i try the giant 4ft cage.... Help and suggestions/ advice please :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I do expect rats to not move around much in the carrier, as long as they are eating and drinking when food and water is available thats fine. Ultimatly its very boring in the carrier so they arent going to love it. Personally i would keep them in there (without the breaks unless hes genuinely panicking) until they are sleeping touching each other. Then id try the next cage but empty

·
Registered
543 Posts
When I homed Ben & Jerry, I did the carrier method to get them to know Rupert & Arthur. They all looked miserable as sin in there but after 4 hours of them curling up, sleeping together, eating together, all drinking. I moved them to my next smallest cage which is a Furet Plus. Nothing in there bar substrate on the bottom, scattered food and two water bottles. Slowly through the week I have added things in (toys, chew block, etc) and they will be moving back into their SRS tomorrow! :) Just the top half first, then the bottom.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Have you tried taking them for a walk? Its supposed to be new to them so they curl up together for comfort.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update!
They are all playing in my cage currently after spending 24 hours in the carrier. Chase will cuddle them but other then that really does his own thing and lets the babies play. I'm really happy I got both otherwise the poor baby would have no one to play with. Right now Chase is laying on a small shelf. I though it was depression but I think hes just getting lazy lol He keeps getting the sniffles since the weather is bipolar... idk why but he does. No porphryin but he sneezes (it could also be the vinegar smell) but yeah. Hopefully he will come around. There really hasnt bee any fighting or poor behavior from Chase to the babies. Hopefully this continues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts