Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my new little adoptee Monkey always walks around with her tail up in the air, like it is never let just sit on the floor of the cage or whatever surface the rest of her body is on, I'm thinking that maybe shes in heat? I've only had her for a day now but I noticed it right away.. any ideas?

·
Registered
546 Posts
one of mine does that as well. i've heard before that rats who run on wheels will adopt that kind of posture. mine has never been on a wheel in her life, and she still does it. my theory is that mine does it because she really likes wading in trays of water, and she's gotten into the habit of keeping her tail dry. just a thought.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oooo.. I hope she likes water, none of the others do, I'll have to test that theory out later ;) YAY!

·
Registered
17 Posts
lol try to get a pic of her running around like that, ive never seen a rat run with their tail up. sounds kinda cute actually lol

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it actually is, but getting a picture of her at a good angle is hard enough since she runs around a lot, so no guarantees, but i'll try my best :D

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Sounds like wheelie tail to me. Comes sometimes in rats that love the wheel and have been given a wheel too small. If you don't have one, you might get one for her!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Does the tail curl over her back? I love my ratties' wheelie-tails ^_^ And mine like getting their tails wet, but maybe that's just because it's been so hot this summer, it keeps them nice and cool ^_^

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Actually wheelie tail can be just from learning to carry their tail on any size wheel. A rat with wheelie tail doesn't necessarily have been in one too small for them.

I have a wheelie tail girl, she is a very very avid runner. The others will carry their tails in the appropriate wheelie fashion but it will relax back to normal once they stop and get off.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hm I don't have a wheel, but my aunt is supposed to give me hers that she bought for her guinea pigs.. which is no doubt too small for them anyone... has anyone actually seen a pig run in a wheel? :? I will definately put a wheel in her cage, its lacking in the toy department anyway :(

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
renay said:
Hm I don't have a wheel, but my aunt is supposed to give me hers that she bought for her guinea pigs.. which is no doubt too small for them anyone... has anyone actually seen a pig run in a wheel? :? I will definately put a wheel in her cage, its lacking in the toy department anyway :(
Pigs will not use wheels, they are very very earthbound animals. Just not built for it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im not surprised... my guinea pigs have become my dogs guinea pigs, when they free roam they're practically supervised by maggy, but they probably weigh more than maggy does anyway. She isn't let play with them as much as she likes though because we're scard she'll smother them with all of her kisses.

·
Registered
181 Posts
[align=center]One of my rats runs in the wheel a lot.
Her tail goes up when she runs on it, but when she gets off the tail goes back down.
How come it doesn't stay up like Renay's rat's tail does?[/align]

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If you watch her when she's out of the wheel, and compare how she carries and holds her tail to the other girl's, it will probably curl more easily. Sometimes my wheel-rats' tails look normal, but they do tend to get curlier ^_^

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
hey lellen! here's a pic of picasso running around with her tail held straight up, sometimes she does this when she's tracking down a wierd smell, lol.

wheelie tail is different though, that's when the tail is held actually curled over (like a husky tail) in a loop over their back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Brown dumbo Kaluha always runs around with her tail in the air I'm thinking it might from a wheel I can't really be sure since we adopted her but I know that in the wheel we have in her cage now she barely goes in it at all. Also my blond dumbo likes to go around and hump the other rats I though this might be a heat type thing but she does it all the time so I guess shes just trying to assert herself

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its not wheelie tail, it doesn't curl over her back, she holds her tail exactly like your picasso.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Whiskers said:
[align=center]One of my rats runs in the wheel a lot.
Her tail goes up when she runs on it, but when she gets off the tail goes back down.
How come it doesn't stay up like Renay's rat's tail does?[/align]
I have one male who LOVES the wheel and is always on but his tails goes back down when he gets off.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i'm not sure why picasso carries her tail up like that, but it's not all the time that she does that. i know that wild rats run with their tails and their whole body low to the ground, so maybe it's just a kind of scampering they do when they feel safe? maybe it's a dominance thing? wheelie tail is a completely different look, so even though picasso runs in her wheel a lot, i don't attribute her upright tail to the wheel at all. picasso kind of always carries her tail above the ground, though not always as high as in that picture, and she is definitely the more outgoing of my girls. maybe it's just a perky personality thing?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol it sounds exactly like what your picasso does, and you could very well be right about the dominance thing since she is housed with her two 5 and a half week old babies.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts