Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote a while ago about my 18 month old hoodie Carrot who had blood in her urine, and we had her spayed.

Well the bleeding got worse, and worse and we have been back to the vet loads, and between us, me and the vet think she has kidney disease. We tested her pee (DIFFICULT to get a sample!!) and there was red blood cells and lots of protein in there, so it could be a really bad urinary tract infection, but were thinking its beyond that because she looks so shiny and bright and happy.

So she (the vet) is gonna talk with the exotics expert at the practice, and work out what to do. Were thinking a low protein diet and baytril and she is going to speak to a UK rat expert over this weekend and call me tomorrow to go and get some meds. We dont want to stress out her kidneys with strong medicines that are going to work them harder.

Carrots my baby so im doing everything I can for her (were now at £150 ($300 US in 18 months!)

Has anyone got any ideas what I can feed her? (I'm in the UK) We are thinking a low protein dog food (I havent seen these before) , and I will give her more fresh veggies and swap any meaty treats for pasta and such. I might buy her some dried cranberries too.

Also, does anyone know of any other rats having the same thing?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Could there be kidney stones? I've heard of rats getting kidney or bladder stones before so that is a possibility. X-rays could give you more info that or ultrasound or an exploratory.

Low protein sounds excellent. Possibly just a low sugar grain mix? That and stay away from anything that could cause stones just in case. Lots of greens probably is good.

Can't really give you more advice than that and I'm not sure what I had given you is any good ): Good luck to you and your girl.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
I want to avoid any more surgery for her sake. Its a little much for a tiny ratty to have 2 ops in 6 months.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She was spayed because the blood looked like it was coming from her girly bits and we suspected a pyo.

She is going to start Baytril tonight when I go to the vet to pick some up.
We suspect its worse than a UTI now because it has been going on for so long, and it has probably passed into her kidneys by now.

We hope it still is a UTI or a kidney infection but they are all treated the same anyway. Baytril and low protein diet, so thats what we are going to do.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Shunamite rats has a homemade diet for rats with kidney disease in addition to their regular one: http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk/feedcrf.html

I guess it's probably a UTI and it might have gone up into the bladder or even kidneys if it wasn't treated properly from the beginning. Here's hoping the Baytril and diet change will help, good luck!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that. Ive never heard of some of those foods, but they are in the UK so I will try and find them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts