Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy Casper is due to be neutered. Recently one of his toes/fingers became swollen so i asked the vet to look at it during his pre-op. She says it may be broken. During the operation they're going to take a closer look at it and they might have to remove it. I know it's only one toe and for a rat, it won't be much of an obstacle but i think it's the uncertainty that i find difficult. I won't know whether or not they decide to remove it until i pick him up.

This is a picture of the toe when i first noticed it:

(just thought i'd mention, the yellow goo on his hand is baby food, since my brother thought it was pus when i showed him this picture!)

Anyway, since taking this picture the swelling has gone down a considerable amount but it looks like it's pointing in the wrong direction, it's slightly bent in the middle.

Have any of your rats had toes removed and how did they react to it? What do you guys think the chances are that the toes will be removed? ???

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
boost :rolleyes:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Never delt with a broken toe, but rats are amazing healers, he's also using his hand without flintching. I'd say keep an eye on it, its always a risk to put a rat under so I wouldn't do it if its getting better.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's going to be under from the neuter anyway, it would all happen at the same time. It's starting to look like the toe is setting in the wrong place now. Like it might heal in the wrong angle...

He'll be moving in with five very rambunctious girls once he's all healed so i want everything to be in working order. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankyou! I'm taking him in in two hours i'm quite nervous!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts