Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knew roughly how much it cost to get rats castrated in the UK??

And how old should the male rats be?

thanks

·
Registered
486 Posts
When I asked my vet in May last year, he said it'd cost around £35.
And I think I read somewhere on here that you should wait until the male is at least 8 weeks before you castrate him...Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I don't know regarding age, sorry

But I was quoted £50 per rat for a neuter (although my vet says as I've got so many, he may give me a bulk discount :lol:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also,

do you actually need your rat to be castrated, i heard somewhere they need to be done otherwise they can get vicious.

is this true?

·
Registered
486 Posts
You don't NEED to have your rat castrated. But sometimes it is the best option if they are severly viscious towards you or other rats or if they have a medical problem.

Some people have them castrated because they want a mixed sex group, but don't want babies. And some people just plain have them done out of choice if they believe it will benefit their life.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had Carrot spayed and they charged me rabbit price as its trickier with them being so tiny. I paid £50, and it was the same price for a castration.

As for ages, I dont know, I would guess at a couple of months. You could call around a couple of different vets to ask and also to get a better idea of prices.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It's not absolutely necessary but there are many health benefits. Chances of testicular cancer and recurring tumors are out the window, and some say it prolongs the rat's life.

I would guess about 7-9 weeks minimum before the neuter, but don't quote me. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts