Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby rat isn't really eating the food I have for her and my other rat. She's in quarantine right now so I know for sure she isn't really eating it. She's been eating frozen peas and some treats and is drinking water but I don't want her diet to just be frozen peas and I want her to have a good calorie intake so that she doesn't get super tiny.

Is it safe to give cat food? If so, how much should I be giving? I have wet food as well as dry food available in the house. They're both "friskies" brand and are flavoured chicken and fish etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have pellets/extrusions for them? When I changed my rats to another brand of food, they didn't really like it until I mushed it up with water and it was a wet glob. Then they went crazy at it and loved it ever since.

I would give that a try--I think cat food is probably way too high in protein for them to consistently take.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have pellets/extrusions for them? When I changed my rats to another brand of food, they didn't really like it until I mushed it up with water and it was a wet glob. Then they went crazy at it and loved it ever since.

I would give that a try--I think cat food is probably way too high in protein for them to consistently take.
I just got her a few days ago but the other rat that I've had for longer doesn't seem too nuts about it either. I think I'll switch over to Oxbow.

I'm moreso wondering if I can give cat food to the newer rat due to the fact that she's so tiny and hasn't been eating much. It's moreso just to give her tonight until I can get some oxbow tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
some cat food makes good high protien did for rats. i use a brand called applaws for youngsters. Only there wry food as an occasional wet meal but it's very useful to give them a boost. i wouldn't feed it all the time though and i would stick to high quality natural brands with named meats (ideally fish) as one of the first ingredients

1 - 4 of 4 Posts