Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my kitty Lily is a pretty laid back kitty. I swear up and down she is a dog in disguise. She fetches, chases her tail, eats dog treats and will even sit for them! I figured I would let her check them out just to see how she would react.

First video, she first notices Fay (Nova stayed in the hammock the whole time)

Second video, they get nose to nose ^_^ Fay was not terrified in anyway. And Lily never once showed any signs of wanting to hunt.

Also, excuse the mess :p Recently re-did the cage, haven't cleaned up the dresser yet lol.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Oddly, confrontations between wild rats and house cats don't always end so well for the cat. Domestic rats on the other hand can be a bit slow on the response and get hurt before they realize they should be defending themselves. All in all cats and rats aren't exactly predator and prey so each cat and each rat will tend to define their own relationship. In fact, in my own limited experience, feral cats and wild rats tend to avoid each other. It's actually even weirder in that they both tend to hunt and eat mice and other small animals.

The risk of introducing cats to rats is either getting the rat hurt or killed or the cat hurt... but a long time ago someone posted some pics of their rat grooming their cat. I don't recall how it was done, maybe they raised the two together?

Since I've kept rats, I've seen the most amazing things... Fuzzy Rat our truly amazing true shoulder rat could freeze a room full of dogs on the spot, which she actually demonstrated at the vet's office to everyone's surprise. I'm guessing it was some kind of ultrasonic sound she used, but it got her her own seat at the vet's. She was the only animal ever allowed in the vet's office without a leash or cage.

If I were giving advise, I'd likely tell you to keep your rats and your cat as far apart as possible... but this time I'll defer to other people's recommendations and your good judgment and common sense.

Best luck.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My cat gets along fine with all of my rats. In fact, she doesn't care for them at all, she finds Murlow to be an annoyance, but that's because he always goes up to her and tries to pry open her mouth. Aside from that, they don't care for each other.
I once posted a photo of Murlow and my cat cuddling when Mur was a baby, my cat would lick him all over. It was pretty cute.
Nugget (my cat) has never shown any signs of wanting to get the rats, it's quite the opposite actually, she is rather maternal. I say they do not care for each other, but some days Nugget will sit on top of their cage when they are out and when one is running around her up there she will do some maternal mews. It's rather cute, and I do know they they are not hunting chatters she is doing, she has had two litters in the past.
I would never suggest anybody have such loose ties when it comes to their rats and their cats, you really do never know, and most people would say I'm being too risky.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Actually Fraido... it's in taking risks that we learn something new. I always think it's kind of good that someone does it, but yes... the kinds of things some of us or some of our rats do can get other people and rats into trouble.

It's important that those of us with experience to post our stories, but it's also important for everyone else to use common sense and appropriate caution before trying anything someone else does at home.

In any event it was a pretty long time ago when I saw the rat cuddling with the cat photo, but yes it might have been Murlow. I recall it was a very cute pic and it stuck with me.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have lost several pets in the past to cats. When I had hamsters or gerbils for my son, we had two cats. The hamsters/gerbils had a habitrail cage and as long as they were in the cage - "cat TV". The cats would sit on my son's bed and watch them run around. But if the hamster/gerbil escaped the cage - lunch. When we had them out of the cage with us we didn't allow the cats in the same room, but if they decided to be really smart and escape the cage it didn't end well. I had a cockatiel that learned to open his cage at 6:00 am. We woke to his screams as he met the cat. At that point I decided to not own cats if I wanted birds, though right now we have cats, dogs, a bird, rats and a short-tailed opossum. Whenever any of the small critters are out of the cage we are ever vigilant. The little ones are not allowed to run very far and the cats and dogs are not allowed to come near.
We already had the bird and some rats when we wound up with a kitten. At an early age she learned to respect them. When she got too close to the cage neither the bird nor the rats were shy about biting her nosy little nose and she soon avoided them entirely. Adult cats don't get the message so easily in my experience. I don't let them interact. I have respect if not awe for those with better experiences in this regard.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I raised cats and rats together before. This definitely isn't my first time. I once had over 80 animals at once that included 15 dogs, 13 rats, 8 birds, 4 cats... that's just to name a few we had many more other type of creatures.

Lily is way more curious than anything, I know how to read her. It was fine. I would never let my rats out with her in the same room unless I knew 100% things were good.
They are in separate rooms, Lily just happened to slip in yesterday so i figured to just see how she would react. I thought it was cute so I wanted to share is all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts