Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rat absolutely HATES water! i need to give her a bath tonight cuz she smells like death, and she has cat claws that a cant clip because even when she's asleep she's running! then i feel bad cuz she squeaks, any bath tips? thanks!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Many rats hate water (Or at least, hate it when it's not their choice to be in it...)

Wear long sleeves, work as quickly as you can, try not to get their heads wet... It's worked all right for me in the past, but I try not to torture my boys with baths too often (though, if they're hot, they like a nice cool down).

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
You can try putting on an old t-shirt and take her in the shower with you.

The sound of the water may startle her initially (don't get in the water straight away) let her get used to that, then climb in. Keep her head out of the stream as much as possible, talk to her a lot.

It's how I bathe mine and still save my skin! Gradually they get accustomed to it. All of mine just like feeling close to you, it calms them as the 'nasties' are happening.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats a neat idea, i never thought of that! also, all fo our dog shampoo is medicated, so would just water and dishsoap work? its the soap we wash our dishes with, cant be toxic right?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hmm, well, I dunno about dish soap, seems to me that that would be very drying to the their skin and hurt their eyes if it got there accidentally. I'd use baby shampoo if it's just to get them clean. ^ ^

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I've literally just read using dish soap in the post called 'flakes'. I've also been reccommended it by the vet as it breaks up grease on their fur (thought I've never used it). Also, he's said human shampoo is better than baby shampoo as it's more abraisive and cleans them better. I've always used herbal essenses without a problem (and they come out smelling less wet-ratty too!)

the only time i wouldn't reccommend using human shampoo is if they have any dry skin or skin conditions, then I'd use baby shampoo or medicated shampoo (depending on the condition)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've seen a couple of places online that said you could use dish-soap on particularly dirty rats, that's probably where you saw it. I don't think I would though given the choice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't know thats it's not, I've only been a rat owner for a week. But thats my opinion of the matter, and I just love the smell of baby shampoo. ^ ^

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ive used dish soap on my boys, it gets rid of the grease really well.

I usually fill a bucket with warm soapy water and use a cup to pour some water on the rat. Then rub till hes all soaped up and rinse him with clean water in the cup. They don't seem to like it very, and they usually try and climb out using me as a ladder but it keeps the man smell from becoming overwhelming. Its best to leave their faces alone and keep all water out of the ears

·
Registered
73 Posts
We try to make "nasty bath time" as fun as possible for our girls. My brother and I arm ourselves with toys, treats, towels and band-aids, break out the baby shampoo and prepare for battl-er bathing which takes place in our bathtub.

One person is designated to keeping the rats preoccupieed with the afore-mentioned treats and toys, another (me normally) baths them one at a time, allowing for some scampering around in the tub, finishing with a good tail scrubbing with a tooth-brush when I'm in the mood.

While they dry, we play with them on the bathroom floor in a pile of towels. The entire process can take up to an hour or so, but it's the best hour ever, despite occansional scratching and wet-rat-on-neck clinging.

Just try to keep the fun factor high and your rats will eventually see it as a positive event.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i don't know if this applies to rats but i guess i might as well post it, apparently (with dogs) it is better to put the animal in the tub and then fill it because they see the water and since it is clear it looks like it is bottomless and who would want to go in a botomless pit of water? SCARY!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts