Rat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along with my ratties I also have a kitty. He's very lively and defiantly the mouse catching type. I have the rats in my room and I keep the door shut so he can't get in. I try to keep him away from them as much as possible. At nighttime though his kitty instincts kick in and he wont let anyone in the house sleep unless he can be in my room with the rats. My parents have told me that I need to let him in so they can sleep or the rats have to go. So far he just sits and watches them but they're fairly new to him and I worry about him building up courage and I know he will. It makes me very nervous when he's in the room and as a result I'm not getting any sleep! It's making for very unhappy ratties, kitty, and me. :?

I have no idea what to do! Has anyone else had a similar problem? How would you guys go about dealing with this? Ahhh any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
can you put your rats in another room at night?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You need to train the cat to dislike the rats by doing the following. Get a squirt bottle ready and as soon as he looks at the rats, give him a good squirt. It has to make an impression. Now here's the tricky part. The cat must by no means realize that that squirt is caused by you or else he will get sneaky and make sure you are not watching when he wants to go for the rats.
In the cat's mind it has to be caused by the rats so he learns that they have done that.
So set up the situation by getting the bottle ready when your cat is not around. Do not look at your cat but keep him in the corner of your eye and as soon as he looks at the rats, you squirt and pretend you don't even notice. If it doesn't work in three trials it will never. Outsmarting cats is very hard.
Make sure you don't squirt the rats though!
Other idea; pet catalogs sell devices to keep cats off furniture. you can look into that too but it's more spendy. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately not. The house we live in is really small. It's just a two bedroom, one bathroom. My room is really the only place they can be in. My mom is terrified of rats and wont allow them to leave my room. :?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
so kitty wont sleep in your parents room?

try the squirt bottle idea by begoodtoanimals.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
yeah, just train that cat during the day. even if he recognizes that its you firing that squirt bottle eventually he'll get that if he goes near the rats, he gets the squirt and will leave the rats alone. it may take a bit more determination and stubbornness on your part then him thinking the rats are doing it but it will work eventually. the reason he may be so interested in the rats too may just be because they are new and he is forbidden your room during the day.

in any case though you will want to double and triple check the security of your cage. you don't want it to break open easy or have any spot on the cage that is slightly larger bar spaced so the rats can get or might get out. check for how easy the bars move up, down and side to side as well. if the bars give a bit that little bit may be enough for the rat to push its way through. also check those doors that there is no way for the rats to be able to open them on their own if they push hard enough. if the cat is in the room you most definitely don't want someone to try to escape to attack the cat, the rat may win but worse case scenario....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'd do the squirt bottle thingy (would end up a bucket with me...) if my cat did anything I didn't like anywhere near my rats. I'm pretty dang defencive with them, and it's hard to get me to let someone else hold them while I am.
I guess I've got it good since my cat (sister's actually) is seventeen years old and doesn't want anything to do with my girls. I guess since she's so old and she's gone through six birds as well that she knows not to touch them.

Good luck with your cat though, I hope you get him to stop being a... kitty? (for lack of better word)

·
Registered
156 Posts
My cat loves our rats, she's always been fond of them... our rat Lucy loved her until she saw her sister Mindy go ape on the cat today. The cat walked up to the cage to have a smell and Mindy got very tense, arched her back and start lunging violently at the cat making a PFFFFFT noise. The cat, confused jumped on top of the cage to get away. Lucy climbed to the cage to see what the comotion was about and climbed down. Well I was holding Lucy and the cat came by to say hi, and Lucy just nipped her nose! My poor old cat is terrified now.... let's just say she won't be sniffing around the cage anymore.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don´t blame lucy, problably she was scared and rts sometimes preffer fighting back to fleeing.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My larger animals would sneak into my room and watch my rats and mice. With rats it was never a problem, the cats just watched, although one time I did find a cat lounging around on top of the cage, and the rats were pretty terrified. And they knew they weren't supposed to, one cat loved to come in and would dart under my bed as soon as she heard me coming. But I never did allow cats to sleep in my room so I don't know what that would do, and my dog wouldn't do more than just watch during the years he slept in my room.

Mice, sadly, are a whole other ball game...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Another idea is to see if your cat is really predatory to them. Observe kitty for a while as he investigates the rats but have the squirt bottle ready as soon as he makes a hunting move.
There is a chance that a caged rat won't trigger his hunting instinct because it's an unusual prey. Lots of small animals have become friends with cats that way but.... never leave them alone together.
And please respect your kitty to be a cat, he was born that way and can't help it. I have Whippets (small sight hounds and they could never interact with my small animals, it's just the way they are.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't blame her, I think she saw that her sister was threatened by the cat in her territory, and learned from her that the cat is a threat. Not but two days ago, Lucy gave our cats ears a good cleaning... and the cat seriously could care less. e. I don't think they've ever been near the cat in the cage though, it's always been on neutral grounds (they're ALWAYS supervised together... ). Mindy is the dominant, and she LOVES her cage... and I was feeding them at the time so i'm sure that could have something to do with it too. I don't blame anyone... my rat's were being rats and the cat was being a cat... yah know, curiousity killed the cat.

I know my cat well, I practically grew up with the cat... she's 13yrs old now. She's an outdoor cat and has always been a predator... believe it or not the old girl caught a finch and left it for me on the porch this morning. :? She is great around the rats, she is very calm with them... she could care less about them for the most part, she'll occasionally smell them and give them a lick, but she has never acted annoyed around them or gone in to predator mode :roll: She acts totally different around my daughter too, the poor cat will put up with some abuse from my 3yr old :roll: I honestly believe she thinks the rats are kittens LOL :roll: Sorry to hijack your thread!

There was some mutual bathing going on here... Lucy grooms everyone... I even get a good mustache and teeth grooming from time to time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
These replies all makes my cat look like a sissy! lol! He CUDDLES with one of the rats, but overall, he doesn't really pay much attention to them. He's not neutered, but he acts more like a dog, than a cat! He'll attempt to gently play with the rats, but lately, I would tap two fingers on his forehead (water also doesn't work for us) strong-yet-gently, and he would immediately stop playing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
She's the kind of kitty I always wanted-from the color to the gentleness! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow. Thank you guys all so much for the advice! I will definitely try the water bottle idea and I hope that works!

I also enjoyed the pictures of the kitties. :) Very cute. I hope one day my kitty and the girls can live together in peace like the picture of the rat and the kitty cuddling. :D

Anyway I will for sure try your guy's advice. I'll make sure to keep you posted on how it's going. Maybe we all can get some sleep soon huh?

Thanks for your help again!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Oh, just to add (I had the same problem), if you make a clicky or kissy noise before you squirt the bottle then the cat will start to associate the click with the squirt meaning you don't have to get up or have the bottle with you at all times. I have thus reclaimed my room from my sister's cat and every time he even so much as looks at my door I click and he looks away and moves on. Otherwise I have 3 or 4 cats in my room regularly that don't even give the rats a second look. (Though having a sturdy cage has also eased my fears of any cats getting them!)

·
Registered
45 Posts
For my cats, I've found the most powerful deterrent is blowing in their face. They associate it with 'hissing' and it lets them know that you are not happy with whatever they're doing. You might want to try that if the spray bottle isn't successful alone (The water-thing never worked with one my my cats. She's not what I'd call a water-baby, but she's one of those kitties that'll stay out in the pouring rain.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts