Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! So, I don't have any rats... but I have been really wanting to get a pair. The one thing holding me back is my cat. She is about 7 years old.. so not super young, but she is VERY curious. I live in a one bedroom apartment, so if I were to get rats, my cat would definitely be around them (while they are in the cage).

Does anyone have experience with a similar cats/rats situation? My guess/hope is that she will be very curious at first but eventually get bored... My worry is that if she doesn't get bored.. she might hang around and try to watch them or sit on top of their cage while I'm at school.. Would this be torture for the rats.. or do they get used to cats being around? I just don't want to have to constantly be worried that they are stressed out. I would probably get two boys if that makes any difference.

Any thought?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have two cats. My one three legged cat, Lucy, is about nine years old, and was feral when we found her. She's still a bit feral. Every so often, she will look into the cage and watch them for a few minutes. My girls will all run over and start nipping/trying to grab at her paw or her nose (if she's brave enough to try to sniff them). Otherwise, Lucy doesn't really care that they are around and doesn't bother them. Now, my male cat, Finn, shows an interest in them. He'll watch them, but won't put his paws or nose next to the cage anymore either. If my girls are playing a lot, he'll get VERY interested and look like he's going to start with them, but stops immediately when my girls go to investigate why he's there and runs off. When my rats are out, my cats will come up to look at them, freak out when they get too close, and run off to hide.

Sometimes Finn will get away with sitting on top of their cage. It doesn't seem to bother the rats at all, and he seems to like doing it simply because it's higher up. I've put an old cat bed on top of my cage, and everyone seems pretty happy with that decision. Finn gets to sleep high up comfortably without getting grabbed or nipped, and the rats get to pick out pieces of fabric at their leisure. XD

I don't think it would be a big deal, unless you notice that your cat is going for blood. All cats are different. This is only my opinion, but the rats don't seem to notice unless the cat is constantly batting at the cage. A well placed, minor nip got Finn to basically leave mine alone, lol. Yours will probably learn the same way. I've found cats tend to learn the hard way!

·
Registered
941 Posts
View attachment 191490
This is how my cat and rats are together, lol. That's a screenshot from a video of my cat just licking my rat and he was just lovin' it. (I can't post videos with my phone.)
It really depends on the individual cat, some have a much higher prey drive than others and are just out to get them. Now, I don't recommend letting them interact and what-not, as cats are unpredictable at times and you never know. But I think if you got baby rats (already weaned, of course), they would adapt to having the cat around just fine.
Good luck with whatever you do!:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I run a rat rescue. My male cat thinks he is a rat & will sit there next to the cage & let them groom him through the cage! My female is a little sh!t & tried to attack one through the cage but soon learnt the rats are not scared & will fight back. She learnt the hard way after being bitten in return. Rats will also hold there ground especially the males.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have a seven year old cat who is very prey driven. I just have the rats in the bedroom and don't let the cat in there. They all seem happy with this arrangement.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the input. I decided to give it a shot... got 2 boys.. they don't seem scared, more interested. My cat is very interested and a little frustrated that she can't get a better look at them.. I get a feeling that these little guys won't have a problem giVing her a nibble when she gets out of line. I'm letting them settle in so I'll post a pic tomorrow or the next. .. Im so in love already :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a cat and she's like in love with the rats. She watches them constantly and always jumps on the desk where I have their cage sitting. She's honestly getting better with not jumping up because every time she does we give her a little tap on the bum and say no haha

·
Registered
265 Posts
It shouldn't be an issue as tons of ppl on here have cats and dogs and rats. Its just like cats and dogs living together. They usually learn their boundaries quickly by maybe the dog getting a scratch tothe nose or even some dogs are just friendly and dont even test the boundaries. Thats how it will likely be with ur cat and rats. As long as u dont let ur cat outside to hunt regularly he shouldnt be too evil lol he might love them or maybe the rats will taunt him a bit and that's how theyll live but he should know to keep his distance and as long as u dont leave them alone right away its fine. Make sure the kitty doesnt attack the outside of the cage or something or have the ability to get into it before u leave them them alone and I dnt think it will upset the rats just to have the cat watching them and being there. Just observe their dispositions and make sure you're comfortable otherwise shut ur bedroom door if u leave those first couple days.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My three cats have very different reactions.

My full Maine ****, the only cat of mine who has ever actually killed a rodent, tends to actually sleep on the rat table next to the cage. He's never gone for them or shown an interest; he knows that inside is inside.
My half maine **** is different. she is VERY interested, holds her mouth open, follows them around, but i THINK it's mostly playful? she has acted the same way to the bird all her life but never attacked any of the small animals.
and my full domestic shorthair is TERRIFIED of them!
just watch your animals, learn their reactions, see if anyone needs to be kept away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts