Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted rodents my whole life and I recently convinced my Grandma to get mice at her house the only problem is that she lives in a whole different state.. I really want pet rats at my house but the answer has always been no. My parents have always used the fact that we have a cat as an argument, they don't think pet rodents are really gross or they are ugly, the problem is the cat. My dad recently said that if we didn't have the cat, the most likely answer would be yes (he is allergic to and doesn't really like cats) but of course I am not just going to give my cat up because my mom and I love her. After a bit of asking what I could possibly do to get rats, he said the iconic "Talk to your mother", I feel like that is somewhat progressive. Is there any way that I can get rats without getting rid of my cat? I think they think that I will leave the door open or let the cat in the room when they are out and the only thing I have to combat that is I have never left the lid off of my mouse cage in Minnesota. I would not plan on introducing the rat and the cat because she has brought in mice and birds before so I do not trust that she does not have a taste for them, but I feel like I am responsible enough to keep the doors closed to the cage and close my door to my room when I am not in it. Could someone give me some advice on convincing? Or is there no hope? By the way I am 13 so there is not really an option to tell them that I will cover all the expenses. They know I would care for the animal and not ignore it so literally the only problem is my cat.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Well I have 36 rats (not counting babies) and 7 indoor cats.....

Lots of people own both. It is all about keeping a watchful eye and being careful.

That being said, some cats are a bit more interested in the rats than others. Having their cage in a room where you can shut the cat out helps. But getting a good proper rat cage will be great as the cat will not be able to get inside, you only have to watch for paws through the bars.

Rats also need a rat proof area to come outside of their cage.

As you are underage I will also say rats are a bit more expensive then their initial cost makes it seem. They need a fairly large cage which is usually around $100 or so. A good block type food that you may have to order online though some are carried in pet stores. And rats can be prone to some health issues and may need vet care and often vets may charge more for a rat then for a cat or dog even! I've also heard some tragic stories where parents refused to give the pets vet care or buy proper supplies or worse forced the rats to live outside or actually got rid of their kids rats even :( I'd make sure your parents are not the type to do any of that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had a curious cat who hunted mice that got into our house.. He was rather fat so he was too slow for me not to catch him when he peeked in at the rats with huge pupils.. but i never had an issue as long as i have a big cage. he was also declawed so his teeth were his only weapon. But as moonkissed mentioned, you should make sure your parents are okay with the bills. Mine were okay with it as long as i got the cheapest stuff all at once then the more expensive stuff later on. I was lucky enough to end up with three healthy boys :) so the bill was less than $200 But no, cats shouldnt be a problem as long as you keep an eye on them.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Can you afford $150-200 for a cage, good quality rat food, toys and hammocks, litter, $200-300 per rat over their lifetime for vet bills? If you can that might convince your parents. Rats and cats are natural enemies, your parents are right not to want to try that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My family is quite financially well off so I think that if I am able to convince them to get some, they wouldn't deny any emergency vet bills. I am going to have to talk to my mom about it and she isn't available at the moment and I am also starting 8th grade in a couple days so this isn't a conversation that can be had soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts