Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, long story short, I live in the Kansas City area and a couple of days ago I caught a fancy rat who'd shown up around my house two weeks ago and now I'm trying to find out what the best thing for him is. With winter on the way and his coloration I'm hesitant to just release him. I don't have any rat experience and apparently neither do any of my friends so I haven't yet been able to find him a home directly yet. Local shelters that I've spoken to don't take in rats but there is one that I was directed towards that I haven't gotten to answer their phone yet. I moved him into a cat carrier from the cage trap so that he at least has food and water and a blanket but I know he shouldn't stay in there long term. He for the moment seems unfriendly and I would guess biting would be an issue if I tried to handle him. There was a much smaller second rat who had been around significantly longer that I also caught about five days ago, relocated, and released so he may have been in contact with a wild rat though I never saw them interact or even get near each-other. I'm looking for any advice or direction anyone could provide so that I can make sure this guy gets into the best situation possible.

Mousetrap Rodent Terrestrial animal Whiskers Tints and shades
Comfort Fawn Rodent Rat Whiskers

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just to clarify, you definitely don't want to keep him? If you did, he would adapt quickly to pet life and rats are very easily tamable to get used to humans!

If not, I guess the only thing would be to find a rescue, or to ask on some Facebook groups, there's a lot of people willing to take rats there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've always liked the idea of having rats but right now I have four cats and I can't imagine that would be a good situation for him. Plus, with his current level of aggression I have to imagine he would be better off with someone experienced in getting rats adapted to living with people. I've been looking for a facebook group, there doesn't seem to be a dedicated one in my area but maybe one of the national groups on there has people in my area on it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've always liked the idea of having rats but right now I have four cats and I can't imagine that would be a good situation for him. Plus, with his current level of aggression I have to imagine he would be better off with someone experienced in getting rats adapted to living with people. I've been looking for a facebook group, there doesn't seem to be a dedicated one in my area but maybe one of the national groups on there has people in my area on it.
There may be some individual people on Facebook too who keep rats and have experience. just be careful in the US that they won't become snake food :( I really wish you good luck in finding a home for him ❤

·
Registered
476 Posts
Wow, when you said you caught a fancy Rat I thought you had a wild one but he's fancy alright. Poor Baby. I strongly suspect he was abandoned and has had a very rough time of it. His eyes are frightened and suspicious. He came to you for help, I think. Thank you for caring for him, and although I wish very much you could keep him I agree with you on the four cats! :) Best of luck to both of you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts