Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to alll!
I am pretty excited that this forum exists, and I hope to be able to utilize it to network with other like minded animal lovers. My name is Cee, I am Canadian born and bred. I love music, books, movies, video games, dance and most importantly my animals. Currently I live with three cats, three rats, a chameleon and a fish all of whom are rescues. The rats I recently rescued (three days ago) after they had been passed around shelter to shelter at only four months of age. They are female Siamese fancy rats, or so my research tells me. I haven't QUITE settled on names yet... I'm looking at either Blossum, Bubbles and Buttercup; OR Din, Farore and Nayru... any aid would be appreciated ( I kind of wanted to see what their personalities would be like, but I'm still struggling.... sooo, ya help?). I'm pretty lucky I think, the girls are bonded and well socialized. While I haven't picked them up yet, they take treats from my hand no problem, and two don't mind my hand being near them. They are all very curious and it took no time at all for them to explore their new enclosure. They are eating and drinking well and there are no problems with bodily functions as far as I can tell. The only thing I am concerned with is introducing them to my cats or rather introducing my cats to them. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on this and I will find it! But if anyone has personal experience with this kind of thing I would love to hear about it! I supposed that is all for now, I'm not sure really what to say in an intro like this, so if there's anything anyone wants to know, I guess ask? :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my rats from a shelter too! In my experience, shelter rats are usually very sweet and good with people, since they've been in a home before. Introducing them to cats can be tricky. Sometimes they will have been with other animals in a previous home, so they'll take to cats well. However, their instincts will still tell them that the cats are predators, so they may get really scared or even act aggressively in hopes of deterring the cats from eating them. I would allow the cats to go up to the cage and see if the rats at aggressively.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts