Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the second fairly expensive hammock I've bought for our girls, watching it begin to fray under the untender ministrations of their endlessly gnawing teeth, and I had a thought. I wanted to make sure that there wasn't some reason it was a bad idea before I actually started working on commissioning it.

Here's the idea: what if I had a friend of mine make a hammock out of chainmail (and, if it works out, maybe a replacement ferret tube as well - that's starting to look a little chewed, too). It would be pretty easy for me to stitch a bit of fleece and/or stuffing to the top of the hammock. That way it would be plenty comfortable, but it would also last more than a week. Whenever the fleece gets too chewed up, I can just stitch on a new piece rather than replacing the whole thing.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I know some metal absorb smells, so if your rats were to pee on it, the smell would be hard/impossible to get rid off. Not sure what metal is used to make a chainmail...I know that stainless steel doesn't absorb smells.

·
Registered
604 Posts
This is brilliant if it works! With some fleece over top of course. My ex made some awesome accessories out of chainmail and though great for over regular clothes I can't imagine sleeping on it being at all comfortable lol

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I would be worried about rat toes getting pinched

·
Registered
672 Posts
I just bought a cheap sewing machine, taught myself, with the help of the Internet, and started making my own. I have saved hundreds of $$

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Looks great. I know my rats would never leave a fleece on top of it alone though. Also by moving on it, wouldn't a rat pinch his toes? I'm curious to know if it can work though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks great. I know my rats would never leave a fleece on top of it alone though. Also by moving on it, wouldn't a rat pinch his toes? I'm curious to know if it can work though.
So far, mine seem inclined to chew the hammock itself lightly, but really go all out and chew the **** out of the straps it hangs by... which is where I got this idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts