Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little girl Coconut is about 3 months old now, and she's still very small and waaaay hyperactive. When she's out of the cage, she does not sit still, no matter how long I have her out.

But lately she seems to be getting more skittish. She never used to mind being picked up and handled, but she has started struggling in my hands. She doesn't venture off anywhere anymore, she just stays on my shoulders. If I set her even in my lap, she turns and climbs back up my shirt. I have no idea why she's not interested in playing anymore, unless it's in the cage. She does like it when I walk around the rest of the house though, so she can sniff like a madrat at all the different smells.

She's also very jumpy. If I'm sitting at the computer, every click of the mouse I can feel her little body jump a little. I don't know if the noise is too high for her and it hurts, or if it just startles her.

She won't take treats outside of the cage anymore, no matter what it is. Well, if I offer a yogie, she will take it, and then put it down my shirt for safekeeping :roll: But she won't eat anything.

Is she acting differently because she's entering her "teenage" phase? I've had her since she was less than 5 weeks old, so I can't understand why she would suddenly start struggling when I pick her up...

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
I find some young rats go thru a skittish phase where any noise is an excuse to panic and run and they seem frightened of you. Trying to pick up these squirmy freaked out girls makes things a lot worse, so I leave them alone and the next day they are usually back to their sweet selves. I have no idea if its hormones and they are in heat or what, but it happens. Even with my girls that I brought up in my oops litter or ones I have had since wee babies. Who knows what they can hear compared to our useless human hearing, or maybe your rat is a pink or ruby-eyed rat who doesn't see really well and gets nervous.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts