Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are a few of the changes that I think would be helpful for private messaging:

- First, to PM multiple people. If I wanted to send a message to MemberX and MemberY, I'd like it if I could just type "MemberX, MemberY" in the To box and the message would go to both of them.

- Or, at least, the ability to send a PM to moderators only. Or similarly, maybe, a "report post" button somewhere on every post that would let you send a message to the moderators. If I ever wanted to report a post, it'd be a pain to message all the moderators, yet messaging one is more like picking favorites and I think it hurts organization for only one mod to get all the messages.

- The search for member function when sending a PM does not work properly. First, let's say I'm searching for Twitch. I click "Find a username" and type in Twitch and click search. A listbox comes up with two names, ratzgirl and twitch. I don't know how ratzgirl was found from twitch, but that's not the point here. If I select Twitch from the dropdown, nothing is shown in the drop down. If I select ratzgirl, ratzgirl is shown. If I click "Select" with the blank shown in the drop down, it does properly put Twitch in my To box, so the error is somewhere in the listbox itself.

- When sending a PM, if you are in My Private Messages, the button to send a PM says "New Post" This is a little misleading as it is not a post but rather a message you are sending.

Finally, I'd just like to send out a message to ratman. I have a degree in Computer Science and am a programmer for a living. Though I have no experience in phpBB, I love to (and am quick) to pick up new things and would be thrilled to help out with some of these suggestions if you're willing to let a stranger into your code. I've noticed you don't really have the time for any major changes, so that's why I'd like to throw out my own services if you'd like them.

Edit: Fixed some typos

·
Registered
274 Posts
cjshrader said:
Finally, I'd just like to send out a message to ratman. I have a degree in Computer Science and am a programmer for a living. Though I have no experience in phpBB, I love to (and am quick) to pick up new things and would be thrilled to help out with some of these suggestions if you're willing to let a stranger into your code. I've noticed you don't really have the time for any major changes, so that's why I'd like to throw out my own services if you'd like them.
hi :wink:

we use http://www.dragonflycms.org/ for the site. the forum is based on phpbb. i agree with what you have said about some of the functions.

i know we would like the report a post feature for the mods.

stop by and look over the dragonfly site. the one reservation i would have with modifying the code would be potential problems of upgrading to future versions of dragonfly. let me know what you think of dragonfly.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just spent some time looking over it (Ok, probably too much time since I'm at work), and it looks interesting. Is there any solid documentation on it, though? I had a very hard time figuring out the most basic things. How did you learn any of it?

How often do you upgrade? On the core download site, it does have the following statement:

These are all the *.patch files for incremental version upgrading thru the `patch` command tool, so you don't loose your modifications.
Does that not protect any modified code? I can't imagine that any changes people make are removed every time they upgrade.

If you'd like to contact me through e-mail, my e-mail address is my ratforum username at gmail.com (I don't really want to type it out for the obvious spam reason).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts