Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do rats change color? My two girls are about four months old now, and I swear they are not the same color they were when I got them. One of them has a much darker color now, and the other one had a grey back (they both have light bellies), but now that grey seems to be getting darker now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As far as I know, their colors can get a bit darker as they age but I'm not sure how much. My rat that I had a while ago had a dark grey hood when I got her but as she got older it turned completely black. I'm no expert on it though so I'm not positive.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
One of my girls has gotten darker with age. She was nearly white as a baby, and is kind of a dark beige-ish color now. Also, black rats will often turn a reddish brown, known as rusting.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
their color will change as they mature

you want to see something fascinating, check out the transition of a siamese rat

often they start off as a caramel color & shed out over several weeks to a almost white cream color with dark spots on nose & base of tail

I have a new boy that is a blazed bareback with speckling going down his body

as he matures new spots pop up & he is taking on what I think some people refer to as dalmatian markings. His colored areas are not quite black, more like a charcoal color but this too seems to be getting darking with each molt. (pictures are on the flickr account but they are poor quality as they were taken with cell phone camera)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Blacks also tend to 'silver' as they get older...

Guinness is sparkly 8O :lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
One of my rat that's about 4 months old had a black coat with white specks of hair in it and now he has a big brown patch of fur on his back.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
soot and ash are both starting to rust... ash being grey and soot being black.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts