Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that if poisoned that charcoal could be a life saver if given in time, but I didn't even connect the dots for a poisoned pet till my mum said something about it earlier today.
So for the veteran rat owners and those who know medicine, how would you give the charcoal? How much, and how soon or often? I'm genuinely curious and if this becomes a recognized method, it would be useful to know.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I keep activated charcoal capsules on hand at all times for both human and pet use. Two weeks ago, my kitten licked a drop of hair dye. I immediately broke a capsule of charcoal over some juicy tuna to make sure he ate it right away.

You can mix it into anything. It has no flavor.

I'd say half a capsule for rats, but that's not based on any sort of science. Just a guesstimate.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks Caged!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I believe medicinal charcoal and "art" charcoal have slightly different chemical compositions... but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't answer that question but I'd like to know the answer myself as I have these lying around too. I still plan to buy the capsules but it'd be worth knowing if you're in a pinch.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I believe medicinal charcoal and "art" charcoal have slightly different chemical compositions... but I could be wrong.
You are correct. The medical kind is called activated charcoal

Quote from eHow...
In order to activate the charcoal, it is oxidized using steam or air at high temperatures. The activation process is what gives this substance its medical properties as it increases the surface area of the charcoal by making in more porous than regular charcoal.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, Dan. That link is very helpful and I'll be printing out that info for the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts