Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been playing with my rat a lot lately and she was eating a carrot I gave her, she began running about really fast after she finished her carrot and came over to me chattering her teeth. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign? I have heard both ways it just depends.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This was probably good bruxing (what the chattering noise is called)! I actually just posted about how I have trouble deciding if my boy is happy or stressed when he bruxes. If she's running to you then it's always a good sign, I think!

Here is a link to a thread discussing this topic in more detail than I can type!
http://www.ratforum.com/archive/index.php/t-104697.html?

Here is a link to some information about bruxing, chattering, and boggling!
http://understandingpetfancyrats.co...rux-what-boggling-and-bruxing-really-means-2/

I hope this helps! Also keep in mind that all rats are different! :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
NO NO NO. Rats DO NOT BRUX out of happiness. Your rat was chattering because she wanted more treats and you weren't giving her more treats. She's running around looking for the treats and chattering because she can't find them. Imaging a kid running around crying because mommy won't give her another piece of candy.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't think I'd compare it to crying in that scenario....more like telling you that they want another treat. My boys do it all the time. I say a firm no, they stop and get on with something else. I think it's one of those things that can mean a lot of things. I wouldn't narrow it down to just one thing. Also, Milo, my snuggley rat, makes this noise when he wants a stroke, he then stretches out on the floor and starts bruxing and boggling the whole time, and if I stop he actually pushes himself under my hand to stroke him again. It obviously can't be that bad...

Also, might differ in rat, I know Milos 'no I've had enough' or 'I don't like this' is the rattlesnake tail and he squeaks in protest if you try to stroke him or touch him and he doesn't want you to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts