Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat is currently on baytril for her wet sneezing that she's been doing lately. It has improved but she is still sneezing a little bit but they're dry sneezes. Her porphorin has improved also. She doesn't have nearly as much around her nose and eyes.

She's been chattering ever since I gt her pretty much but now along with it, it's almost like she's eye boggling too? It's not because I'm touching her because she does it without being touched.

I'm wondering what could be causing this chattering? Is she stressed or happy or is it something worse?

·
Registered
149 Posts
If she is sick and boggling it is most likely because she is stressed and unhappy from not feeling well. Sometimes you just have to interpret how they are feeling by looking at their body language and such because when they boggle/brux it could be due to stress or happiness. As you get to know your rats better it will be easier to tell.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If she is sick and boggling it is most likely because she is stressed and unhappy from not feeling well. Sometimes you just have to interpret how they are feeling by looking at their body language and such because when they boggle/brux it could be due to stress or happiness. As you get to know your rats better it will be easier to tell.
Is it something to be overly concerned about if she's being treated with medication? She might do it 4 times a day for a minute or so.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Have her symptoms improved a good deal after 3-5 days of starting the antibiotic? If they haven't really improved, then you need to try a new antibiotic because the current one you're using is not beating back the current issue well enough. You should usually try amoxicillin as the very first antibiotic, and if that doesn't work, then move onto enrofloxacin (baytril) or doxycyclin, or a combination of any of the three. I would talk to your vet.

If she's been bruxxing (the chattering) and boggling her eyes, that's usually a content/sleepy and cozy/happy/lost in thought thing that rats do. They also do this when in pain or unhappy, but usually the bruxxing will sound sharper and kinda crunchier, or will sound different in general, and the rat will also usually be showing other signs like being fluffed up, squinting, and acting tired and jsut looking unhappy in general. Rats are good at hiding pain, so if you really think she's bruxxing from pain or stress, teh vet may be able to help there too with a pain medication/anti-inflammatory like Meloxicam/Metacam. But you have to read it in context. She might be just sleepy and cozy and daydreaming though, and not in pain.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have her symptoms improved a good deal after 3-5 days of starting the antibiotic? If they haven't really improved, then you need to try a new antibiotic because the current one you're using is not beating back the current issue well enough. You should usually try amoxicillin as the very first antibiotic, and if that doesn't work, then move onto enrofloxacin (baytril) or doxycyclin, or a combination of any of the three. I would talk to your vet.

If she's been bruxxing (the chattering) and boggling her eyes, that's usually a content/sleepy and cozy/happy/lost in thought thing that rats do. They also do this when in pain or unhappy, but usually the bruxxing will sound sharper and kinda crunchier, or will sound different in general, and the rat will also usually be showing other signs like being fluffed up, squinting, and acting tired and jsut looking unhappy in general. Rats are good at hiding pain, so if you really think she's bruxxing from pain or stress, teh vet may be able to help there too with a pain medication/anti-inflammatory like Meloxicam/Metacam. But you have to read it in context. She might be just sleepy and cozy and daydreaming though, and not in pain.
She's was on Chloro Palm and it didn't work well within 3 days so I called my vet and he switched her to baytril mixed with Apple juice. She's been on that for almost 2 weeks. I've noticed a difference. It has gotten rid of wet sneezing she used to do (it sounded really weird like a cough at the same time almost?) and it's just little sneezes every so often. She has had barely any porphorin around her eyes/nose lately when before almost every time I checked up on her (which is often), she'd have some crusties around her nose and some in one of her eyes. She's also cleaning herself more (her tail used to be super dirty; I've been seeing her clean it a lot) and she's grooming a lot more now also and overall is more active and eager for treats and food (carrots, celery, cucumber, etc) and is drinking a lot more water.

Overall I think she's doing a lot better. However, after this medication is over (which is coincidently tomorrow morning), I'm going to continue it until Jan 1st and see if the extra little bit kicks it in the butt because over the past week, significant changes have been made.

When she chatters, it's sometimes just normal sounding (she could be in her cage just roaming around). And sometimes it's a crunchier sounding one along with eye boggling. But that's normally when I'm stroking her head and she's sleepier. So I have no idea how to differentiate the two haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts